Thieving gits

Bandit

Have just got back and need to rant:mad:
For the last 6-7 weeks my lad who's 5 and I have been checking the trap line on weekends on my little shoot. He loves everything to do with outdoors , wildlife and our little patch and really looks forward to his outings. What has made these trips really exciting for him has been the setting of a camera and coming back later to see what pictures he has got .
Well today we get there to find some scrote had nicked the camera (nowhere near footpath and well hidden) to say he was gutted was an understatement .
He doesn't understand why someone would take something that's not theirs , so I had to try and say that's how it was sometimes
so time to get another one, hide it better and maybe get pics of the someone who shouldn't be there .
what would you guys recommend

Can't you get one of they cameras that email you a pictures once taken. So you will have the pictures if it does go missing, you could still go collect it and see what pictures it has done Manually as well so your lad still gets his trip out and keeps up the enthusiasm and excitement.

Can't you get one of they cameras that email you a pictures once taken. So you will have the pictures if it does go missing, you could still go collect it and see what pictures it has done Manually as well so your lad still gets his trip out and keeps up the enthusiasm and excitement.
Yes have looked into that and that is probably the way to go, this is the first time that I have had to explain about thieves to one of my kids so maybe it's me more gutted than him

Place camera on tree as required. Set bear trap 12"-18" from tree just under the camera. Hide trap well. Hide camera optional.
Legal note check minimum of once every 24 hours

Last time I set my camera i thought there would be no one in the area and I got some face shots of someone checking out my camera!
Fortunateley they didn't steal it! When I checked the time on the photos taken it was the day before i collected the camera that the person found it. I had only had it in position for 9 days and there were no footpaths in the area!
As mentioned before get a camera that sends you live pictures but i think they are considerably more expensive and if that is nicked you probably still won't get it back!
you could get a few of the "cheaper" ones and get a broken/dummy one and see if you can set a trap to catch the person stealing the dummy one? just a thought. I bet someone on here has a broken one.

Place camera on tree as required. Set bear trap 12"-18" from tree just under the camera. Hide trap well. Hide camera optional.
Legal note check minimum of once every 24 hours
+1 have also thought of camera watching a fake camera, does anyone have a broken one they don't want ?

Last time I set my camera i thought there would be no one in the area and I got some face shots of someone checking out my camera!
Fortunateley they didn't steal it! When I checked the time on the photos taken it was the day before i collected the camera that the person found it. I had only had it in position for 9 days and there were no footpaths in the area!
As mentioned before get a camera that sends you live pictures but i think they are considerably more expensive and if that is nicked you probably still won't get it back!
you could get a few of the "cheaper" ones and get a broken/dummy one and see if you can set a trap to catch the person stealing the dummy one? just a thought. I bet someone on here has a broken one.
You just beat me to it lol

I feel your pain and anger- checking my cameras this afternoon and found that some abortion dodger has stolen 1, the worst thing is the feeling that someone is lurking round your own piece of heaven.

I feel your pain and anger- checking my cameras this afternoon and found that some abortion dodger has stolen 1, the worst thing is the feeling that someone is lurking round your own piece of heaven.
Yes there should be no one there but obviously someone is sneaking about. I am now determined to find out who

Thanks good idea

honestly they work a treat and you can get really thick bugger and even a really Sharp knife struggles to cut through them.

Just means you will have to take a small bag with you for you small tool kit, I always carry spare cable ties, good wire cutters and spare SD cards and a small pruning saw.

bit of extra clobber to cart about but better that than. New camera

Re-positioned and hid one of mine well to catch a 'local' wood thief (bought 2 bat boxes and modified one of them)

Superglue razor blades on the edges, just make sure you remember when you collect it.

i have one you can borrow if its any help only an old tasco. but may work to catch the rat
Thanks bumpy, is it working as I wouldn't want to borrow if it got nicked,, I am thinking of ordering a couple of black infrared models with one being a mms version

Back