Thread: SHV 5-2056 Nightforce for stalking ?

SHV 5-2056 Nightforce for stalking ?

I`m thinking of going for a NightForce 5 X 20 X 56 SHV , a mate reckons its not suitable for stalking saying its a varmint scope and long range deer shots should not be taken , I agree on the talking long shots at deer , to many variables to ensure a clean kill but I want a scope I can also use for varmint shooting , so to use it as an all rounder.

I`d appreciate your opinions.

The name of the scope should answer your questions. I think SHV stands for Shooter Hunter Varminter.

Why not use one for stalking if you want to. Your choice. At the 5x mag it will be perfect for close shots.

I use a nightforce 3.5-15x56 nxs for stalking and it's perfect so I'd go with the shv of i were you

Quote Originally Posted by Benji53 View Post
    I use a nightforce 3.5-15x56 nxs for stalking and it's perfect so I'd go with the shv of i were you
    +1

I had a 5.5 - 22 x 56 NXS on a 243 for fox and deer and found it a bit fussy about getting a good sight picture. It was fine off a good rest but when shooting in a less than ideal position eg around a tree or off a low post I found it easy to lose vision. I still have a 3.5 - 15 x 50 NXS and that is much less fussy to use. The glass is excellent in the light but not quite up to good German standards as the light fades. They have good illuminated reticles and work very well when lamping. The windage and elevation adjustments are very positive, accurate and repeatable.

Nightforce isn't known for its quality glass and are quite heavy,I suspect that there are other scopes that will fulfil your needs better. Might be good to do a bit of research before you take the plunge,and weigh up what you are really looking for in a scope. Good luck.

Not suitable for stalking?
    what does that mean?

people stalk with open sights, red dot, 4x32 right up to 3-5000x76 with microfiche reticule that glow in the dark onTuesdays!

makes no odds, if you can shoot with it and it works for you use what you like