Vmax 110gr in 270

Norrie1956

Anyone used the Vmax BT 110gr bullets for reloading?? I already use and love the 87gr Vmax in 243 for reloading, but not got a clue with a "lighter" bullet in 270, I've only ever done 130gr SP...:)

Thanks in advance chaps...:)

I tried them in my 270wsm, don't use them if you plan to pick up/eat what you shoot. I shot foxes with them and the easiest way to find them was look for the steam, they are savage. I wouldn't put them near deer, I use 130g sp at 3380fps the 110g were just short of 3600fps.

Last edited:
not Vmax but have 400 surplus 100gr speer soft points I have just worked up a load for

will make short work of anything they hit given the speed I think they will be going!
circa 3300-3350 fps at a guess

not the most accurate but inside an inch and as they were free I don't mind so much

I used them on fallow / munty / red and roe, no problem, pump house, if head shooting you don,t need to carry antlers home, foxes they make a mess of, very accurate.

Thanks guys, they will be for fox, I like venison too much to waste what I shoot....and not intohead shooting...:)

The 110 vmax in factory Norma I found to be excellent killers of deer but could at times be a little harsh with shoulder damage on roe. However when I reloaded my own 110 vmax I didn't push them as fast and found less damage but still maintained the excellent killing ability.
I currently load 110 Sierra soft points because I got a few boxes cheaper than the vmax.
If you want the vmax for foxes then push them fast, if you want excellent deer killers back them off a bit. I always load for the most accurate load anyway regardless of velocity, and 9 times out of ten that entails not having the load as fast as it can be.

For the record..... I found the hornady 87 vmax factory rounds to be the best roe deer round I could find.... and I tried a he'll of a lot including home loading.

Last edited:
ive used home loaded 110gr vmax in my 270 for years, as monarman says accurate devistating on foxes and a little messy on deer but good for reds if you push them a little slower. I have matched norma vmax speeds but tailored them to my rifle making them more accurate than me, this means I can go and buy factory ammo when needs be and not have to use more than 2 to check zero, also means I can fireform brass easily.

Back