Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moerator question

Moerator question

I am a recreational stalker and shoot on average a couple of roe a year for the freezer using a Howa .243 / S&B 6x42 / ASE Utra Northstar combo with Norma 100g ammunition. It seems to work really well together as everything I shoot is within 150yds and, so far, they have all been clean boiler-room shots.

However, I have a space on my open certificate for a .308 plus moderator which, as I plan book an outing to shoot my first stag later this year, I want to buy quite soon.

The moderator I have on the .243 is a model AS 3S .30, which is suitable, I believe, for a .308 too. My questions are:

1. Providing I buy a screwcut .308 - probably another Howa 1500 - can I simply use the same moderator for both weapons?

2. Would it be legal?

Many thanks for your help.

Yes asking as you have a free slot for one or you vari your licence to change the 243 moderator to just centre fire moderator for use with your 243 and 308

or or something like that anyway

It sounds to me as though you have authority on your FAC to use a hypothetical moderator with your hypothetical .308 rifle.
    Assuming you're right, and the mod you've got would work on a suitably-threaded .308, then I'd suggest that you ask your FLD how they'd prefer to redescribe your current mod on your FAC so that it clearly authorises its use on either rifle.

Lawful/unlawful I don't know: but I suspect they'd be unhappy if you just popped the mod, which as far as the FAC is concerned is for the .243, onto the .308 if on paper you just have a vacant slot for a .308 mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    It sounds to me as though you have authority on your FAC to use a hypothetical moderator with your hypothetical .308 rifle.
    Assuming you're right, and the mod you've got would work on a suitably-threaded .308, then I'd suggest that you ask your FLD how they'd prefer to redescribe your current mod on your FAC so that it clearly authorises its use on either rifle.

Lawful/unlawful I don't know: but I suspect they'd be unhappy if you just popped the mod, which as far as the FAC is concerned is for the .243, onto the .308 if on paper you just have a vacant slot for a .308 mod.
    Scotlands Licensing officers tend to be quite practical people, don't think they would be bothered. Its a sensible solution

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    Scotlands Licensing officers tend to be quite practical people, don't think they would be bothered. Its a sensible solution
    Moderator on your ticket never (in my experience anyway) specifies calibre or rifle it is "matched" with so I seen not problem.

Quote Originally Posted by slider View Post
    Moderator on your ticket never (in my experience anyway) specifies calibre or rifle it is "matched" with so I seen not problem.
    All my mods are listed as being attached to a specific rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Essex stalker View Post
    All my mods are listed as being attached to a specific rifle
    This depends entirely on the lottery of which force you are in and whether prescribe to the common sense approach

I use the same mod on a four barrelled sako quad and two centre fires

the mod is simply listed as "Full bore Moderator"
    The on on my .22 is "small bore moderator"

as above Scotland are sensible when it comes to this
    just ring them, tell them what you intend or just use it, they won't care

As above all my MODS now read full or small bore moderator and can be changed between rifles. I am now trying to achieve the dream and go to just one Centre fire.

Thanks all for your thoughts. I think maybe contacting FLD and letting them know what I intend to do would be the way forward then.

As far as actually fitting it onto the rifle, any potential issues there? I'm not keen on the idea of screwing it on and shooting a round through to check whether there are any serious mismatches. Obviously I have to have the same thread on both barrels but are there any other considerations?

Thanks again for your help.

Check the hole down the middle is big enough for 308.