Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting vehicle

Hunting vehicle

AY one have a car jeep van etc kitted out for hunting shooting fishing etc
    . Eg built in dog box's gun racks, extra sockets for lamping etc, got me thinking the other day when I saw a car with a winch in the back for pulling deer in and another had dog boxes and a gun safe built in. Curious in other persons setups and to see whats out there might give myself a summer project pics welcome

What kind of vehicle do you have?

I am freshening up my GMC Suburban for just that, but still as something I can haul people in comfort. I fish from kayaks and canoes.

I just bought a 44x21x20 inch heavy plastic box with hasps which is matte black and fits below the window line, for securing things. The windows are dark, too, so it is invisible. I have had for 35 years, one a bit bigger made of steel, which I had made.

I have had pickup trucks, Jeep Cherokees. In the Deep South of the USA, I could probably take 100 photos a week during seasons, of saltwater fishing setups and hunting setups with aluminum dog boxes, trailer hitch baskets for ice chests, etc.

One thing which works well in SUVs is an inside overhead rod rack, attached to the luggage racks in the rear and hand holds between the doors. Reels are at the rear, rods up against the ceiling and out of sight. I don't use one, but friends do in their Toyota SR5s, Jimmys, and Pathfinders.
    Last edited by Southern; 21-03-2016 at 22:04.

I have done a couple, Nissan D20 crew cab, Ivor Williams top, cut in half and turned into a dog box , which left the rest of the bed for deer, Best I had was a jeep Cherokee commercial, flat floor, in rear,bulk head, but still had four doors, so you could access from either side , long enough for plasterers trays for deer (2 side by side) or one and a dog box and guns. You could also store a large amount of gear behind the front seats, more comfortable on long drives.

2011 hilux DC I've got a false floor that sits just below the tailgate length of bed ( tailgate has a dead lock on so very secure ) I can put carcass tray underneath the floor with rifle out the way and I've got a lintran double dog cage for my Lab on top with loads of space in front of dog cage for eigher another tray or whatever really

no winch as I tend to only shoot smaller deer

Ive got a waterproof socket for a light force lamp by the grill for when shooting off the bonnet

The truck gives no indication I'm a shooter if anyone looks inside the cab or in the back as they can't see anything other than the dog cage so no camo paint or stickers lol

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    I have done a couple, Nissan D20 crew cab, Ivor Williams top, cut in half and turned into a dog box , which left the rest of the bed for deer, Best I had was a jeep Cherokee commercial, flat floor, in rear,bulk head, but still had four doors, so you could access from either side , long enough for plasterers trays for deer (2 side by side) or one and a dog box and guns. You could also store a large amount of gear behind the front seats, more comfortable on long drives.
    I've got a similar Discovery 2 Commercial with the flat load bed. Brilliant for hauling all sorts of stuff about and my deer trays sit perfect in the back. Winch on the front, more for getting me out of trouble than extracting deer with lights everywhere and a nice roof mounted support for hung gralloch.

I generally use one of these:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FGW%u00252BGWR%u00252B166204.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	430.3 KB 
ID:	68150

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    I generally use one of these:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FGW%u00252BGWR%u00252B166204.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	430.3 KB 
ID:	68150
    not very good off road though
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Quote Originally Posted by tackb View Post
    No, it does have its' limitations...

Quote Originally Posted by tackb View Post
    ? I thought they were were very efficient off road...Do they ever go on road?

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alantoo View Post
    ? I thought they were were very efficient off road...Do they ever go on road?

Alan
    they do go on road , usually on the back of a large lorry and then we lift them onto their tracks with a large crane
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !