Spent brass

stig

What do people do with their empty cartridges? I have a bag full at home. Not a member of a club. Not a reloader. Can I recycle it somewhere?

What make/calibre is it?

Try sticking it in Classifieds, it might be of interest to reloaders :thumb:

Alex

What do people do with their empty cartridges? I have a bag full at home. Not a member of a club. Not a reloader. Can I recycle it somewhere?
start to reload!! recycle and save money!! your off to a flying start you have good quality brass once fired.they are fire formed to your rifle!! neck size and off you go.

start to reload!! recycle and save money!! your off to a flying start you have good quality brass once fired.they are fire formed to your rifle!! neck size and off you go.

i haven't seen any of the previous posts on reloading so apologies if this threads water.
i went to see a mate who reloads, not sure if he is a member or not. jim, sorry i was not so enthusiastic ha ha see below

he took me through the washing the cartridges the turning the heads primer removal the powder weighing the setting the primer the filling the shell the cleaning of heads the setting to the nearest 100000000000th mill to fit the head and then go to the range with three other types of batches then find which works best go reload them and save 20p approx per round

YOU MUST BE MAD HA HA HA

sorry but thats not saving money counting the time effort and yes unreliability of reloads no way.... never once with federals have i had a misfire yet seen reloaders with a few....not a lot.

I buy 20 rounds of federal 100gn powershock for £21/£25 box.
to reload it will cost £14/£15 approx maybe more or less but it takes hours and days to get the right batch etc etc... hours at basic rate of £5.75 no saving

If i was to shoot target yes i would.. for extreme accuracy.

opened three boxes of federals sunday. one round from each box of 20 to test at 100 yards these are 1 1/5 inch circles. top of a lucazade bottle the 500ml bottle. point of aim is the dot. .243 wetherby 2-12 meopta scope.

i haven't seen any of the previous posts on reloading so apologies if this threads water.
i went to see a mate who reloads, not sure if he is a member or not. jim, sorry i was not so enthusiastic ha ha see below

he took me through the washing the cartridges the turning the heads primer removal the powder weighing the setting the primer the filling the shell the cleaning of heads the setting to the nearest 100000000000th mill to fit the head and then go to the range with three other types of batches then find which works best go reload them and save 20p approx per round

YOU MUST BE MAD HA HA HA

sorry but thats not saving money counting the time effort and yes unreliability of reloads no way.... never once with federals have i had a misfire yet seen reloaders with a few....not a lot.

to reload it will cost £14/£15 approx maybe more or less but it takes hours and days to get the right batch etc etc... hours at basic rate of £5.75 no saving

opened three boxes of federals sunday. one round from each box of 20 to test at 100 yards these are 1 1/5 inch circles. top of a lucazade bottle the 500ml bottle. point of aim is the dot. .243 wetherby 2-12 meopta scope.
i don't reload to bench rest standard like your mate,i buy 1000,primers,bullets,enough powder for a cost of £225!! = apx .44p per round!! thrown together in a rcbs ammomaster2 progressive press! 1 round every 3 seconds!!! box of 20 = £8.80 + 60 seconds of work@ £5.75ph £8.89p,they give me under 1-1/2" group every shot,never had a misfire.AND!!! it gives me something to do while ime having a cigarette!!! ime not mad!!!! WHOOSH!!!:rofl:

i don't reload to bench rest standard like your mate,i buy 1000,primers,bullets,enough powder for a cost of £225!! = apx .44p per round!! thrown together in a rcbs ammomaster2 progressive press! 1 round every 3 seconds!!! box of 20 = £8.80 + 60 seconds of work@ £5.75ph £8.89p,they give me under 1-1/2" group every shot,never had a misfire.AND!!! it gives me something to do while ime having a cigarette!!! ime not mad!!!! WHOOSH!!!:rofl:

:rofl::coat:

+1 on that

Hitting this old thread: does anyone know if there's anything you can do to recycle scrap brass? Shot out, old, damaged, .22 ... I've got a bucket load that I can't seem to bring myself to throw out.

I think i'd scrap my Rifle if it only grouped 1-1.5" at 100 yards barrel must be shot out:D

YOU MUST BE MAD HA HA HA

reloads, if you know what you are doing reloads should be very consistent and should never result in failure to fire. If you are worried about consistency how many FTR or benchrest shooters reload and come

as for the savings, don’t know where you are getting 20 p from.

.22 hornet £0.70-1.00 (35 gr v-max)
.223 £0.60-0.80 (50 gr v-max)
6.5x55 £1.50 (120 gr Norma/nosler)
6.5 creedmoor £1.20 (139 scenar)

if you shoot 50-100 rounds of CF a month those savings add up. As for timeit’s a hobby in itself but neck sizing and not cleaning the primer pocket then 50 hornet can be done in 30 minutes. FL sizing, trimming, chamfering, primer pocket cleaning 50 rounds in 1.5 hours.

but as you’ve not been on since 2012 you probably won’t see this:-|

You can’t force someone into reloading. Either they want to do it or they don’t. Also, unless your really keen on it and willing to do some self study, don’t attempt it. The hardest part of handliading is having a sincere desire to do it. Those of us that have the desire, know well the rewards.

I generate a lot but just bin it these days, I used to ship it on but it's more hassle than reward. Id scrap it but don't want to give my address to a scrap merchant when trading a bucket-full for a fiver, hardly worth the diesel to drive there once a month.

Back