Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Berger VLD

Berger VLD

Hello,

has anyone here tried the Berger Hunter VLD? I am thinking it might be a good bullet in 105 grain for my .243, for Red Deer that is. However, my concern is that my .243 Win is a Sako 75 Hunter, which I believe is a 1:10" twist rate, which might not be a good match for a VLD bullet of this weight?

My thought was that the Berger would help drop Reds much better than standard soft point, etc. ammunition, with the .243 already being on the 'light' side for that size deer.

I have read the 95 grain is better matched to a 1:10" twist, but that is of course too light for Reds, legally speaking.

many thanks for your input and help,

pkl,

If you are shooting big deer with your 243 i might suggest using a bullet that will hold together well and penetrate deeply, maybe a partition or a speer hotcor. as for twist rate... i quite agree, the 1 in 10 may not stabalise a 100 grain bullet.

I have had good success with hornadies interlock (2450) I have used this on roe to reds.

hot core

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    Hello,

has anyone here tried the Berger Hunter VLD? I am thinking it might be a good bullet in 105 grain for my .243, for Red Deer that is. However, my concern is that my .243 Win is a Sako 75 Hunter, which I believe is a 1:10" twist rate, which might not be a good match for a VLD bullet of this weight?

My thought was that the Berger would help drop Reds much better than standard soft point, etc. ammunition, with the .243 already being on the 'light' side for that size deer.

I have read the 95 grain is better matched to a 1:10" twist, but that is of course too light for Reds, legally speaking.

many thanks for your input and help,
    I wouldnt waste your time mate first of all you will need an 8 twist to use the VLDs and 2nd there not all there cracked up to be,yes the yanks use them BUT at great long distance which means the bullet will be slowing down which will enable it to expand at not break up at noraml hunting distances the VLD will pass staright through,dont be taken in by the long range videos,use a good bonded core bullet at the weight suitable for your 10 twist which will be a 95gr

Dont feed the troll
    Last edited by devilishdave; 07-06-2010 at 21:51.

I experimented a year or so ago with Berger VLDs, Hornady A-Maxs and a few other similar rounds.

The biggest problem i encountered with the VLD was that being initially intended as a target round and intended for long range, the results when dropping beasts at shorter ranges (100-300) were inconsistent. Fine if you're dropping a pest like a fox and meat damage isn't a concern.

Ultimately the best results achieved were with the Hornady A-Max. Capable of phenominal accuracy, good penetration and relatively consistent. Now my bullet of choice, i use them for both reds and sika. If i could get them for my 25-06, i'd most probably use them for roe too.

Errr, isn't the A-max classified as a target bullet?

Mat...if you read the blurb you'll see that Hornady have classified them as target and also suitable for 'smaller' game. When testing i found that they performed very similar to the SST. The real beauty there is that they can be legally sent through the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat View Post
    Errr, isn't the A-max classified as a target bullet?
    "YES" You beat me to it, imho A-MAX for Deer (living)

Must be fine for deer, 'smaller' game must mean anything smaller than polar bear?

Nosler Partition's in 130grain for the .270, 162 grain A max for the 7mm, covers all the bases.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!