Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 77

Thread: Red Deer Ammo Suitability Survey

  1. #1

    Red Deer Ammo Suitability Survey

    Hi

    As per my introduction I`m a student , my dissertation is questioning the suitability of the legal minimum calibre /energy required for stalking or culling Red Deer , I've set up a survey and would appreciate it if stalkers would complete the questionnaire and also pass any opinions they have on the matter.

    Many thanks for your time.

    Research into rifle and ammunition suitability for Red Deer stalking and culling. Does Current UK legislation need revising with regards ammunition requirements for hunting Red Deer ? Survey

  2. #2
    Oooooo, controversial or what?!
    You will get a variety of responses for certain!
    However, have you also considered that a likely change in the law (or at least best practise) will render the humble .243 useless for Red Deer in Scotland? Scottish law dictates that a minimum bullet of 100 grains is used. If we all follow the FC lead and move over to copper, there is no bullet in .243 to satisfy this weight. Just a thought for you. I sincerely hope that doesn't throw your dissertation into disarray?
    In some ways, it would be good if SNH and NE could unify the laws. It would certainly make it easier for candidates on DSC 1 courses!
    Good luck.
    MS
    Last edited by Monkey Spanker; 23-03-2016 at 11:45.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Oooooo, controversial or what?!

    However, have you also considered that a likely change in the law (or at least best practise) will render the humble .243 useless for Red Deer in Scotland?
    MS
    Or for that matter strict enforcement of the existing laws not just in Scotland but in England and Wales also.

    Remembering that the "humble" .243win cartridge technically isn't of sufficient calibre and that often factory ammunition shot from short barreled rifles doesn't meet the required velocities and thus muzzle energy requirements of the various countries.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Oooooo, controversial or what?!
    You will get a variety of responses for certain!
    However, have you also considered that a likely change in the law (or at least best practise) will render the humble .243 useless for Red Deer in Scotland? Scottish law dictates that a minimum bullet of 100 grains is used. If we all follow the FC lead and move over to copper, there is no bullet in .243 to satisfy this weight. Just a thought for you. I sincerely hope that doesn't throw your dissertation into disarray?
    In some ways, it would be good if SNH and NE could unify the laws. It would certainly make it easier for candidates on DSC 1 courses!
    Good luck.
    MS
    Thanks , its an interesting subject and my findings will be qualitative, as you say the .243 may become obsolete for Red stalking especially if lead is banned , good for the gun trade but not good for .243 owners (me inc) .

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Or for that matter strict enforcement of the existing laws not just in Scotland but in England and Wales also.

    Remembering that the "humble" .243win cartridge technically isn't of sufficient calibre and that often factory ammunition shot from short barreled rifles doesn't meet the required velocities and thus muzzle energy requirements of the various countries.
    This is one area I will also be covering, 5-10 boxes of .243 factory ammo , a chrono and my 20" Tikka.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Estudiente View Post
    Thanks , its an interesting subject and my findings will be qualitative, as you say the .243 may become obsolete for Red stalking especially if lead is banned , good for the gun trade but not good for .243 owners (me inc) .
    Am slightly sad to see this topic come up. Its a can of worms. The .243 is a great park culling calibre.

  7. #7
    Despite the government interfering with every part of our lives already I've decided to do some research which will allow the nutjobs to claim they have "science" to call for something else to be banned, would you like you join in?
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/




  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by howa243 View Post
    Am slightly sad to see this topic come up. Its a can of worms. The .243 is a great park culling calibre.

    I don't think it is sad at all
    It demonstrates an interest in self regulation and education that the powers that be have indicated needs to happen.

    To be fair park culling could happily be done with a .222 or 22/250
    in fact in NZ the 22/250 is/was an extremely popular round for red deer
    However head shots are the norm not the exception.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Estudiente View Post
    This is one area I will also be covering, 5-10 boxes of .243 factory ammo , a chrono and my 20" Tikka.
    To save yourself some money on ammo and as background information that you could quote in your dissertation it might be worth looking up the article that Bruce Potts wrote on the .243win in short barreled rifles 18 months to 2 years ago. He later wrote a similar article on the .270win cartridge and short barrels.

    P.S. With regard to the .243win he concluded that a 20" barrel was probably the shortest realistic length that you could go to and still have a chance of achieving the required muzzle energy that the law says you should achieve.
    Last edited by 8x57; 23-03-2016 at 12:13.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Estudiente View Post
    Thanks , its an interesting subject and my findings will be qualitative, as you say the .243 may become obsolete for Red stalking especially if lead is banned , good for the gun trade but not good for .243 owners (me inc) .
    Is there not a risk that your findings will therefore be viewed as biased?
    MS

Similar Threads

  1. Rhodesian Rideback - Suitability as a Deer Dog
    By Stalker48 in forum Deer Dogs & Tracking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-08-2014, 11:56
  2. BASC Scottish deer stalking survey
    By Tamus in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 13-01-2014, 21:26
  3. doing the deer initiative survey 2moz
    By 6.5rem700 in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29-03-2013, 07:25
  4. Roe deer survey..............
    By re'M'ington in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-01-2013, 13:51
  5. BDS deer distribution survey 2011
    By timbrayford in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-10-2012, 06:57

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •