Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Head Shot Roe Doe.

Head Shot Roe Doe.

This is almost certainly the last of the Roe Does I will be taking this season as I have a lot of other commitments over the next couple of weeks I so will not have time for any more stalking.
    I went out yesterday (Tuesday) morning and spotted this doe in the woods while I was on the way up the track to the farm. I parked in the usual place and set my rifle up and then crawled on my hands and knees (I can tell you that the grass was very damp and darned cold) across the paddock which overlooks the woods where I had spotted the doe.
    I sat and watched her for about 10 minutes without her being aware that I was there so she was quite relaxed. Most of the time she was in among the trees and there was no clear line of fire but eventually she wandered out between the trees and offered me a clear line of sight and an unobstructed shot.
    She was facing directly away from me at a range of about 90 yards so I decided that a high neck shot was the best option as I knew that she would drop on the spot, (As long as I did my bit) and carefully got the cross hairs on the back of the lower part of her head and carefully and gently squeezed off a shot.
    The shot was perfectly placed and went clean through the Atlas Joint and (As planned) she dropped on the spot with the bullet exiting through the front of her face and burying itself safely in the soft woodland ground in front of her due to the downward angle I was shooting at.
    The gralloch was done on the spot and she was skinned and butchered by me this morning. All the meat (Except for a couple of cuts that I saved for myself) was given out to friends and some of my Senior Citizen Neighbors for their Sunday Lunches.
    The video shows the devastating effect a .270 soft point bullet can have on a deer. However with the high neck shot from behind there was no meat damage or wastage whatsoever.

Frenchie boy, good shot, but I hope you checked the sub maxillary & retrophrangeal lymph nodes!!

Excellent shot. They don't run far when hit through the atlas joint!

Quote Originally Posted by baguio View Post
    Excellent shot. They don't run far when hit through the atlas joint!
    You're not wrong there, they just fall over!

Looked pregnant.. that will be next year's cull over

Don't know your ground frenchie boy unless I'm under pressure to really reduce roe numbers then March culling will be only youngsters not pregnant if stalking is your hobbie or passion then you just killed possibly three deer but still a good clean kill lights out instantly

Quote Originally Posted by swatty View Post
    Don't know your ground frenchie boy unless I'm under pressure to really reduce roe numbers then March culling will be only youngsters not pregnant if stalking is your hobbie or passion then you just killed possibly three deer but still a good clean kill lights out instantly
    +1

Also no need to show the damage caused. Something wrong if you can't imagine what a .270 will do to a deer's head after it's been shot. Humane yes but each to their own, but not for me.

They're all pregnant bar the barren ones,and have been for a goodly amount of time,no difference shooting one with 1/2" foetus or 10" foetus is there?

Quote Originally Posted by bigscott270 View Post
    Looked pregnant.. that will be next year's cull over
    It's been pregnant since it got covered in the rut. What's your point?

Quote Originally Posted by jubnut View Post
    It's been pregnant since it got covered in the rut. What's your point?
    A beast with one possibly two of next year's sport and only weeks to drop? Not for me that's my point OK