Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Air Pistol

Air Pistol

Im looking for an Air Pistol for dispatching trapped Mink. Anything in good working order considered.

thanks

Personally I found air pistols lacked the power needed for humane dispatch, having tried with the crossman rat stopper, I found it wholey unsuitable.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

years ago as a kid I used to shoot rats with a wheirach (spelt wrong)air pistol to about 20 yards. If you hit the head it does the job

I suppose it rather depends on the power of the pistol and shot placement
    Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    Personally I found air pistols lacked the power needed for humane dispatch, having tried with the crossman rat stopper, I found it wholey unsuitable.

Quote Originally Posted by sussex stalker View Post
    Yes indeed, I used to run a small trout syndicate and we had mink problems. They are tough little creatures.
    You may have far greater experience than me and I hope you can source an air pistol with sufficient power for mink.

Another option could be a No.3 or 9mm garden gun, with dust shot. They can often be bought pretty cheaply and there are some neat little folding ones too.
    Its a very low powered cartridge and if used with care, will not damage your cage trap. Just a thought.
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

Regular Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by sussex stalker View Post
    Indeed. I would have thought, based on my experiences on rats and feral pigeons that it would be up to the job. The Crossman 2240, as I think is what deerstalker.308 is referring to, is more or less bang on the legal limit, with mine putting out 5.6ft/lbs at the start of the canister. If you are set on the air pistol, then might I recommend a .22 or .25 with the heaviest pellets available or even a wad cutter design? Pistols to look for would be the HW45, Webley Alecto, Diana LP8 magnum, the aforementioned Crosman or similar. Many of the older spring designs, such as the Webley Tempest as well as some gas rams, such as the HW40 are putting out less than 3ft/lbs and should probably be avoided.
    Good luck!

Thanks for that - interesting, may be a good option if anyone has one for sale> thanks..
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Norm View Post
    Yes indeed, I used to run a small trout syndicate and we had mink problems. They are tough little creatures.
    You may have far greater experience than me and I hope you can source an air pistol with sufficient power for mink.

Another option could be a No.3 or 9mm garden gun, with dust shot. They can often be bought pretty cheaply and there are some neat little folding ones too.
    Its a very low powered cartridge and if used with care, will not damage your cage trap. Just a thought.

You'd pick up a single barrel. 410 on guntrader for pretty cheap. I bought one a while back for 25

I have been in your position recently, and my findings are as follows:

i prefer the the higher power of the air rifle to the lower power of the pistol to do the job.
    i find the long length of the rifle a pain when trying to follow a mink as it moves in the trap.
    some pistols have snub barrels which, being wide (for want of a better word) do not fit through the mesh of some traps, making it difficult to get close enough with the barrel.

i have seen trap combs on the web which are designed to pin the mink in one place prior to dispatch. Dependant on trap type a garden fork, or a piece of ply cut with notches into it could do the job. These are a very good idea.
    i find that a mink which bites the end of the barrel makes life easy.

A screaming mink in the trap, which is moving around, whilst you try to hold on to a flimsy sapling on a near vertical river bank, whilst wielding a gun and trying not to attract the attention of twenty nearby ramblers who are enjoying their lunch, is a bit tricky. Good luck in your quest.

Mink are far to hard skilled for an air pistol, high powered air rifle as a minimum would be my recommendation. I trap a lot of wild ferrets and now use the 22lr rimfire to do the job cleanly.