Thread: Oh Gawd, Not another Highseat thread.

Oh Gawd, Not another Highseat thread.

There seems to be quite a lot about highseats going on here at the moment so I thought I would throw my, err highly designed and copy righted idea into the mix.

It all started with a scaffolding tower that I bought a couple of years ago. Basically I put a plank across it and it sat in a field, worked well enough till it blew over in the wind. I then used it at home for its intended purpose, helping with DIY. Anyhow, job done and it has been sitting round the house for the last 2 years doing nothing and taking up space.

Now back in January I got a call from a bloke saying he had a problem with foxes on his small holding and would I come and have a look? So off I trots, and despite this place being a whole massive 4 acres due to house, roads, livestock, neighbours etc I was very limited as to where I could fire from, basically there was just 1 spot. I sat out there a few times but due to obstructions when I saw the fox it was behind a fence or gate or basically where I couldn’t get a clear shot, and you saw it so fast that it was gone before you could get your rifle up or if I moved I was to close it was likely to smell me and not show its face.

Not to be deterred I mentioned to the owner that I really needed to get higher to be able to get a clear shot, and he said, “Don’t care, do what you like”, So I suggested a highseat or a foxbox, reply was still the same. OK, foxbox it is. Now I don’t know about you but I have been sat up a high seat and it has started to snow on me whilst waiting for a fox and it isn’t very nice, neither is a cold breeze or rain dripping down your neck. I freely admit to being a wuss. My mate chortles when I suggest these things and says ,”yeah, why don’t you get electricity in and make a cup of tea as well.” WellI personally don’t see any problem with that myself and may mention it to the owner at some point as I am right beside the shed so I could run an extension lead in. I really don’t think he would mind, but I’ll settle for a flask at the moment.

So I had a load of wood lying around doing nothing and I thought I could use that up to keep the cost down. It was all a bit of a rush job and thrown together but the result was better than I expected it to be.
    Plastic chair inside much more comfortable than a wood bench, rain stays off, wooden shutters open to keep the rain out as well. All in all I’m very pleased, used some lorrystraps that I bought before, (again just sitting around doing nothing), to keep it in place should the wind get up. I did have to buy the lapwood but I used that specifically to fit in with the buildings already there, again, not that the owner seemed bothered.

I designed the box to be flat pack for transporting and that worked well enough. So would I do it again? Ohh yes, keep an eye on the bay of evil and when one comes up again at the right price I will buy it. Hopefully with outriggers this time as they will look better. I would also make a lot of changes to the design so it would be a bolt together rather than screw together and I would use very thin ply for the sides to keep the weight down.

Like everything it is a learning curve
    Last edited by The Singing Stalker; 23-03-2016 at 22:16.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

link to pic wont work for me,necesaty ?is the mother of all invention,
    DONT START

Quote Originally Posted by AN DU RU FOX View Post
    link to pic wont work for me,necesaty ?is the mother of all invention,
    SD Slideshow by Gloop2 | Photobucket

Regards JCS

its been that long since I put pictures on I had to figure it out. stupid system....
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

ss knock 4 scaffold tubes into the ground off each corner and tie it down with a couple of wagon straps
    atb tom

I put 2 in. Then ran out of pole. But to be honest. That covers the wind direction so don't think it will go anywhere. I've now got to wait for another fox to move into the area. So it may be a few weeks before I use t again.

Excellent job. That is a cracker
    Blaser K95 Stutzen - the ultimate deer stalking rifle