Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: new medical procedures from 1st April.

new medical procedures from 1st April.

http://basc.org.uk/firearms/applying...n-certificate/

Further updates added today 24th March
    Last edited by tFl; 25-03-2016 at 00:33.

Now those with 'doubtful' (listed) medical conditions will have to pay for their more detailed medical report and will no doubt be 'at the mercy' of doctors fee assessments. The minority who have problems will have to fully justify that they are medically fit to own firearms and doctors opinions of, for example 'stress' will determine an individuals suitability.
    No problem on the face of it, apart from the potentially punitive cost to the individual and for some, the worry of whether their doctor is professional or personally prejudiced against shooting.
    Another win for shooting ? - having to pay where previously no-one did but with greater surety for the public. I think we were told this wouldn't happen since legislation suggests the police will pay. The notes say the 'shooting organisations agreed the new process' I have no doubt that anyone with any advised condition will require a supplementary medical report in the present risk averse culture.
    Lucky I am not one of them.

Well I say! Bring back the day when you went to the post office paid your 10/- (for the younger people, 50p), and hey ho you had a shotgun certificate. Very little gun crime as I new it.

It was interesting to read the things the GP will report to the police on :- MS, Dementia, Any other mental or physical condition which might affect your safe possession of firearmsor shotguns.

Says it all really, so don`t admit you forget where your glasses are, or you have cramp, or suffer pins and needles in your leg or walk with a limp, or that`s you me old fruit cake. Sit in the chair and wait for the sword of Damocles (GP) to swing.
    Spaniel

I suspect that there will be a number of 'old school' GP's and shooting GP's who may not play ball. Doctors are very conscientous when it comes to patient confidentiality and I think 'no' might be the reply to an enquiry in some cases. Interesting to note:

"What happens if my GP does not want to operate the new system?
    Another GP in the practice can provide the information. If this is not possible, you should discuss
    this with the police firearms licensing department. Applicants and certificate holders should not
    be disadvantaged if their GP does not provide the information needed
    ."

My italics.

Established Poster
    However, while the doctor might say "No", you have given consent for the Police to have that information. So they can show to the doc that full, informed consent has been given.
    I suspect that if any doctors are particularly awkward, then they might find plod gets awkward back in return. "Oh, I'm sorry Mr Doc, we don't have anyone available to come and inspect the crime scene where your house got burgled. We've had to put the SOCO people onto firearms licencing, because of some issues with lack of medical reports. We might be able to get out to you next week though."

I thought that was the standard answer, " we don,t have anyone available, here's your crime number"

Basc link uodated today with faqs and further info

Good to read that BASC have been instrumental in helping the police develop this new process. I thought they were supposed to be protecting shooters, rather than putting tools in the hands of folk who want to restrict our activities.

As for the 'encoded reminder', needless to say that's simply b****cks. My GP records already have a note that I'm a SGC holder. It's there on my records for anyone who can access the system to see. Guess where the record appears? In a box marked 'Any other problems'! When I mentioned this, the practice nurse suggested it was because there wasn't any other place to keep the record on the existing software operated by most GPs. I have never informed my GP about my shooting activities, so can only assume West Mercia told them I have shotguns. Despite my certificates being coterminous, they seem to have neglected to tell the surgery I also have an FAC?

Given that the police are currently extremely vexed about legally held firearms being stolen, I hope that Constabularies will be vetting each and every member of every GP's practice, to see if they have any terrorist links? I recall that one of the folk sentenced this week for terrorist offences was a medical student. The guys that tried to fire bomb Glasgow Airport? Another Doctor...

I was speaking to an NGO big cheese yesterday who assures me that they objected strongly to the Home Office about placing the info on the NHS IT system for all to see. Apparently the Home Office have very reluctantly agreed (but only after the NGO applied pressure) so some way of recording that is accessible to far less NHS staff must be on the cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Country View Post
    Good to read that BASC have been instrumental in helping the police develop this new process. I thought they were supposed to be protecting shooters, rather than putting tools in the hands of folk who want to restrict our activities.

As for the 'encoded reminder', needless to say that's simply b****cks. My GP records already have a note that I'm a SGC holder. It's there on my records for anyone who can access the system to see. Guess where the record appears? In a box marked 'Any other problems'! When I mentioned this, the practice nurse suggested it was because there wasn't any other place to keep the record on the existing software operated by most GPs. I have never informed my GP about my shooting activities, so can only assume West Mercia told them I have shotguns. Despite my certificates being coterminous, they seem to have neglected to tell the surgery I also have an FAC?

Given that the police are currently extremely vexed about legally held firearms being stolen, I hope that Constabularies will be vetting each and every member of every GP's practice, to see if they have any terrorist links? I recall that one of the folk sentenced this week for terrorist offences was a medical student. The guys that tried to fire bomb Glasgow Airport? Another Doctor...
    I don't think that's entirely fair to BASC or the other shooting organisations such as the NGO who fought a determined but hopeless rearguard action on this issue for some considerable time. I say that based on the minutes of the NPCC FELWG (Firearms and Explosives Working Group) meetings and also the last revision of the guidance to police notes.

Interesting that you should mention doctors who have committed terrorist acts. You will probably also recall the case a few years ago of the medic (a doctor?) who returned from active service and brought a couple of AK47s or AKMs with him. He went on a shooting spree after a domestic and caused various police forces very serious concern due to his army training for some time until finally cornered.
    Last edited by 8x57; 26-03-2016 at 07:06.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.