Karma and the Brussels attacks...

I have removed this post as I feel at this point in time it is not showing due respect to all those people who have lost their lives or been injured in the recent events. I think there is too much media coverage which to my mind is not helpful, especially to those who are grieving.

I didn't see your original post, but just picking up on you saying there's too much media coverage, I tend to agree with that. I imagine that one of the reasons for these attacks is to create media coverage. But the media aren't going to stop any time soon and indeed the public have a right to know of these attacks. It's a bit of a catch 22 in that respect.

It's a bit off when one of those at a scene, rather than having as a priority helping the wounded feels that it's more important to take pictures on her 'phone and distribute them.

I feel that the perps should never ever get their 15 minutes of fame by having them named after the event, that all police services know their names is of course OK but the press should keep mum IMO.
Martin

I feel that the perps should never ever get their 15 minutes of fame by having them named after the event, that all police services know their names is of course OK but the press should keep mum IMO.
Martin

Agree names of any cowardly terrorist should be kept from public and media after all thats what the terrorist wants so xxxx the terrorist

i think brussels brought this on themselves to some extent , if they had not let slip that he original terrorisot captured was singning, but the opposite then this would have given the security services extra time and not forced the other perps hands

greenshoots

i think brussels brought this on themselves to some extent , if they had not let slip that he original terrorisot captured was singning, but the opposite then this would have given the security services extra time and not forced the other perps hands

greenshoots
first and foremost, Iam sure everyone on this site truly feels for the departed, and their nearest and dearest, but greenshoots, lets not castigate Brussels, everyone has 20/20 vision post event. Let's all bring solidarity to the Belguim people, as Iam sure they did with us on 07/11

RIP to all who lost their lives, and god hopes no one else is taken as a result of this cowardly attack on the undefended

Martin

Agreed. Some training I went through on Mass Murderers in the USA suggests that one of the things that they are after is fame (or more correctly INFAMY). It has been suggested that if we observed a news blackout on the name of the perpetrators of horrendous crimes, and only named their victims, we would reduce some (not all, definitely not all) of the crimes. It is also suggested that the worst thing for these evil people is to actually capture them and imprison them for life. They can then be confronted with their failure for every remaining day of their miserable lives.

I mourn for the recent losses in Belgium, as well as the other losses from terrorism. I sincerely hope that the individual they captured in Belgium last week has the opportunity to be interrogated daily for the rest of his life, thereby depriving him of his martyr status on a daily basis.

The politicians don't want to admit they have been too soft in many areas, letting people enter the country unvetted, letting them travel to and fro inside the EU, and to and fro among Europe and the Middle East.

Why would any "refugee" want to return to the place he "fled"?

When Iraq or Turkey warns a European police force that someone is suspicious, why would they not jump right on him?

When someone goes to join ISIS and comes back, why is he not under 100% surveillance, or arrested and interrogated?

Many of these "home grown" terrorists were recruited and indoctrinated by known provocateurs. They are common criminals, being fed a philosophical and theological rationale for their innate lack of respect for life and law, along with a racial component against white Europeans.

Now, the problem has gotten too large, out of control, and he police are overwhelmed. Like a person out of shape, they are going to have to work harder to get back in shape quickly, than if they had slowly ramped up ahead of the Muslim influx which is laden with terrorists.

It's true that Belgium's police and security services are a bit disjointed. To be frank, with all the cuts in the UK to policing, you could say the same here. Many of the terrorists caught in the UK over the years have been as a result of simple everyday bobbies noticing suspicious activity and things go from there. Those bobbies on patrol in cars or on foot have simply disappeared to a great degree in recent years. In fact, take any European country and their everyday policing is much the same.

The fact is, we are democracies and policing is done to a certain level only, to preserve our individual freedoms. Only in totalitarian states such as the USSR and Germany in the '30's and '40's is this sort of thing prevented because anyone even a little bit suspicious gets the chop! Of course I'm not advocating that, but somewhere along the line, we need to get the balance right to let decent honest people have their freedoms, yet still be able to wheedle out criminals and terrorists effectively. Not easy.

The problem with this fight is we don't know who we are fighting.

Everytime a terrorist blows themselves and others up family, friends and neighbours are on the news telling how shocked they are and that they had no idea.

If the police react on information received from intelligence services and arrest prior to an attack then the evidence to prosecute has to be there or the suspect goes free. Then there is all the pressure from the "human rights do gooders"

If the police act on intelligence as in the case of Charles De Menzies (ok mistaken identity) they get ripped to pieces.

It is estimated (from my source which I believe and have to work with) that 1 in 50 of these Syrian refugees we are welcoming with open arms have attended terrorist training camps.
Now if the weaponry was as readily available in the UK as it is across Europe we would be in big trouble. That's a matter of time
ILB

Back