Thread: Help Please- Running in my new CZ .17HMR

Account Suspended

Help Please- Running in my new CZ .17HMR

Hiya Guys,

I have just acquired a new CZ .17HMR and need to run it in before I start to use it proper.

Can someone with some experience advise me on how best to do it ???

had an anschutz .17 bought it and shot it no break in very good gun sold it to my nephew when i went back to .22 do not worry to much about running it in.

I ran my first CZ hmr in, shoot 5 clean etc for the first box , never got any copper out after the first 100 rounds.
    My Anschutz 1517 I shot for the first time at a range day, fired 500 rounds in a day, no cleaning and was hot most of the day.
    Never have found any copper in it, now it gets a single pass with a bore snake after every 50 rounds, round count is now over 5000 and it still at least as accurate as it ever was.

Neil.

Run a CZ HMR in as follows:

Take new gun out of box, use a pull through or dry patch once to clean out any swarf or shipping oil, then shoot as many rounds through it as it takes for you to get bored (10, 100, 1000 - it doesn't matter). Put back in gun safe (moderator removed).

Clean with a pull through when accuracy falls below half an inch at 100 yards. For my HMR this was every fourth box of ammo but with others it was far less often. Expect to have to fire a fair few rounds to bring accuracy back on song after cleaning with solvents and rods (so don't bother).

After 12 months, get fed up with the ever rising cost of HMR ammo, get rid of it and buy a nice re-loadable .22 Hornet instead (or a .17 Fireball if you like shooting rabbits at silly ranges).

Adam.

I use my CZ .17 twice a week as a minimum, and clean the bore every two weeks irrespective of the rounds I have put through it, have done this since new and the accuracy has never been a problem, only high winds, then I revert back to the good old .22 until the wind drops.

My best rabbit gun, safe and although it can bang the carcase around a bit on a shoulder shot the extra range is most welcome and increases the bag, I experimented with the slightly heaver round but I now keep the standard round all the time now.

good luck with the CZ and stick with it, it's a good round for rabbits
    Phil

Don't run it in at all. Marlin Firearms says not to clean their 17HMR's at all. Only the chamber and action. I have never cleaned any of my 17HMR's.~Muir

I clean the mod quite regularly - it's suprising how much residue builds up here...

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by robbobsam View Post
    Hiya Guys,

I have just acquired a new CZ .17HMR and need to run it in before I start to use it proper.

Can someone with some experience advise me on how best to do it ???
    only shoot with care for the first 500 miles! no more than 1500 revs per min,then give it an oil change!!! as it would have been shipped with running in oil!! OR,consult your owners manual it will tell you all you need to know!!