Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 17HMR help

17HMR help

Just got a 17hmr on my ticket and was wondering what to go for.

Had my eye on a CZ, but a good buddy said that I should look at a Browning T-Bolt.

Anyone got any thoughts on a T-Bolt.

My mates one shoots OK, not brilliant but not bad.....
    But beware the horrible trigger pull, and all the plastic trigger parts including the gaurd.
    I started with a CZ Silhouette and ended up with an Anschutz 1517, which I am very happy with, shop around
    I was surprised when I found my Annie, brand new at 525 just over a year ago, no more than some shops
    were charging for a CZ at the time, CZ's are good, but not good enough to turn an Anschutz down when the price
    is that close.

Neil.
    Last edited by Hornet 6; 31-05-2010 at 20:52. Reason: spelling

Really depends upon how much you want to spend. I've had CZ's in various calibres and they have all shot well, admittedly the only one I have now is a .22 rimmy. Several mates have all started with the CZ 17hmr synthetic stainless, good utilitarian gun, with good out of the box accuracy and reasonably priced.At the end of the day the choice is yours. Go for what you want.

Ade

I have the CZ 17 American and its very accurate, it's even better after I fitted a Brooks trigger, I had a Simmons WTC scope on mine until recently and put an MTC on it. For the money they are an excellent rifle with a good scope and trigger job I don't think anything else can touch them, but if you can afford it and would like something better then an Annie is the tool to get.

Alan(KG)

I've had a Browning T Bolt and sold it last year...., the trigger is horrible and unless send back to Browning can not be adjusted, is sent mine back and it still had about 41bs pull.... , it is noisy for fast round extraction & sometime the spend cases got stuck - the one good factor is the length, mine was the carbine so was great when lamping from a vehicle.

So i went for the Sako Quad Hunter - this is a great bit of kit! best of both worlds .22 & 17HMR - i can click in the correct turret adjustments to change from one barrle to another and point of aim is always spot on without having to fire a test round - money well spent in my book!

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Cheshire Lad View Post
    I've had a Browning T Bolt and sold it last year...., the trigger is horrible and unless send back to Browning can not be adjusted, is sent mine back and it still had about 41bs pull.... , it is noisy for fast round extraction & sometime the spend cases got stuck - the one good factor is the length, mine was the carbine so was great when lamping from a vehicle.

So i went for the Sako Quad Hunter - this is a great bit of kit! best of both worlds .22 & 17HMR - i can click in the correct turret adjustments to change from one barrel to another and point of aim is always spot on without having to fire a test round - money well spent in my book!

Rob
    sako quad!!! very smart choice,well worth the money!!!! barrel wear? order a new one keep shooting in .22 till your new one turns up(i dout you'll have to wait long!!) but i doubt youl wear it out!!, re-sale!! ,the worlds your lobster!!,if you get bored you can sell it as any of four calibers,and off load the rest of the barrels to a dealer!!

I've got a short-barreled Anschutz 1517...I started off with a Marlin, but saw the Anschutz on thr rack one day, and it just said "Buy me, you know you want to....".

(Ther is a pic on the thread of 'post a photo of your rifle' elsewhere on the forum if you want to ogle....!!)

Far less, ummmm, 'agricultural' than the Marlin, but buy a spare mag as the standard one is only 4 round capacity.

ATB,

Merlin
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

Another vote for CZ ,I have a .17 American L/H and love it .

But I have never used a T bolt so can't comment on it as all my r/f s have been BRNO / CZ

Best of luck

I have a sako quad, more than happy with the rifle , of thes i handles when i bought mine it felt the best , dare i say it most of the others felt like scaled down centerfire rifles.

Keith