Thread: Daewoo Korando 4 WD problem.

Daewoo Korando 4 WD problem.

Moderators - If this is in the wrong section please feel free to move it and accept my apologies!
    I have recently bought a Daewoo Korando as I wanted a cheap 4WD vehicle. I am quite happy with it but I have discovered a problem when I got stuck in a field the other day which I am hoping that someone on here might be able to advise or give a few thoughts on.
    The Korando has manual transmission (5 forward and 1 reverse) and an electronic selector for H2, H4 and L4 gearing which is situated just below and to the left of the steering wheel. The high and low selector works fine as do the warning/advisory lights on the dashboard which tell me what drive option is selected.
    However when I try to go from H2 into either H4 or L4 while the high and low gear selector work fine I still do not put any drive through the front wheels. (I know that the high and low gear selector work due to the difference in gear ratios when I tried it)
    With it being an electrical selector I would believe that it is fitted with electrical solenoids, possibly one to select the high and low gears on the gear box and another to select the 2 or 4 wheel drive on the transfer box. I hope that I am right in believing this, if not could anyone put me right please. (I was told that a sticking solenoid can be a common problem if the 4 wheel drive option isn't used regularly on many 4X4s)
    Assuming that I am right I would expect to find the 2 or 4 wheel drive solenoid somewhere on the transfer box, again does anyone know if this is correct and if so where on the transfer box might it be located?
    I have to admit that I have not looked carefully under the motor yet except for the basic checks on chassis etc and to check that the front prop shaft had not been removed (I am told that some people were wrongly under the belief that if they removed the front prop shaft it would save them fuel)
    Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.
    Last edited by FrenchieBoy; 24-03-2016 at 19:26.

I know nothing about this vehicle, but at the risk of "teaching Granny"--it doesn't have free wheeling front hubs by any chance?? I had an old Landcruiser that needed the hubs engaging manually.
    Yes I'm

Quote Originally Posted by downwind View Post
    I know nothing about this vehicle, but at the risk of "teaching Granny"--it doesn't have free wheeling front hubs by any chance?? I had an old Landcruiser that needed the hubs engaging manually.
    Yes I'm
    Thanks for the thought and no I haven't taken it as "teaching granny to suck eggs" and I appreciate the thought, many thanks! I am as new to this particular 4x4 as you are. I did think of checking that it didn't have free wheeling hubs (Which it hasn't). As it is I spent hours trawling through the search engines last night and eventually found what I was looking for.
    The solenoid that I am looking for is not on the transfer box as I expected it to be. The front wheel drive is engaged by the use of vacuum and the vacuum solenoid is located in the engine compartment just under the battery tray. I have a "gut feeling" that it is this solenoid that is at fault" so I am going out this morning to check it.
    Here is the link to what I needed to find:
    http://neon.lofis.net/SsangYong/Serv...003_02_003.pdf

I had a Korean vehicle Hyundai Terracan and the fault turned out to be the sliding selector yoke in the transfer box (it broke off one of the 2x selector arms)

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchieBoy View Post
    Thanks for the thought and no I haven't taken it as "teaching granny to suck eggs" and I appreciate the thought, many thanks! I am as new to this particular 4x4 as you are. I did think of checking that it didn't have free wheeling hubs (Which it hasn't). As it is I spent hours trawling through the search engines last night and eventually found what I was looking for.
    The solenoid that I am looking for is not on the transfer box as I expected it to be. The front wheel drive is engaged by the use of vacuum and the vacuum solenoid is located in the engine compartment just under the battery tray. I have a "gut feeling" that it is this solenoid that is at fault" so I am going out this morning to check it.
    Here is the link to what I needed to find:
    http://neon.lofis.net/SsangYong/Serv...003_02_003.pdf
    Don't know anything about this vehicle but it sounds similar to the set up on Mitsubishi's if so you have two solenoids one to engage the front wheels and one to disengage the solenoids activate a vacuum which in turn activates a rod on the front axle which operates a clutch which engages or disengages the front wheels , solenoids are a common problem on Mitsubishi's the rod can also stick especially if four wheel drive is not used regularly, try jacking up the front wheel drivers side and operating the lever ( activator) by hand if you can engage and disengage the wheels by hand the activator is working, check the solenoids remove the vacuum pipe and you should feel the vacuum
    when you engage or disengage four wheel drive in the cab repeat with second solenoid this is only a rough check you need a meter to check resistance to absolutely sure they are OK however if you can feel the vacuum chances are they are OK disconnect the pipes one by one at the front axle with four wheel drive both connected and disconnected, if you don't feel vacuum here you have a burst pipe or possibly a blockage ,somewhere near the front axle you will see a canister about the same size as a tin of beans it will have vacuum pipes attached to it check the canister is sound they can become corroded if they leak the system will not be able to hold vacuum.

Don't know if hour system is the same as the Mitsubishi but it sounds similar if it is then these are a few things you can check there are other things that can go wrong but these are the usual culprits.

I'm not sure on the 4wd system on the particular vehicle (and haven't looked into it myself yet) but an alternative to the mitsibushi system described above there is the possibility that the vacuum actuators are in/on the transfer box.
    Some higher spec Daihatsu fourtraks have this option where 4H is activated on a button (this switches a solenoid to provide the vacuum to the actuator on the transfer box) and 4L is via a gear stick - the gear stick only actually shifts it from high range to low range with a switch telling the vehicle to activate the 4wd vacuum system.

I would suspect that if the switching of 4H and 4L is on a dashboard switch then the actuation of both the low range and 4wd would be on the transfer box somewhere usually via vacuum as previously said.