Thread: Fun with new positions

Fun with new positions

No, no, I haven't blown the dust of Mrs SimpleSimon's old copy of the Karma Sutra. I'm talking about shooting!

I had a drive over yesterday to a pay and play "zeroing" range near to the in-laws house, with a vague plan to re-zero my .22 a little further out and to have a bit of "no pressure" range time with the .270 (following a recent display of awful shooting where I missed a fox who was almost in bayonet range).

The .22 was sorted with 3 shots off the bench and a few clicks on the scope so I decided to have a bit of fun and try to learn something. I put 50 rounds through the little CZ, which I haven't used much before. Some standing off twin sticks, some sitting on the floor with my knees up, some at longer range, some closer in. The seated shots were a totally new attempt for me, but I soon had the hang of it and was grinning as I made lots of little holes getting steadily a bit closer together.
    Next up was the 270. Ammo being rather more expensive I opted just to have a few shots and mimic what I'd done with the 22. I fired 12 shots at 100 yards variously from twin sticks, seated with knees only for suppport, and kneeling with one hand rested on the bench. No prize winning shots, but I was happy that out of 12 shots I'd put 5 within 1.5 inches of the point of aim and all but one within 3 inches of it. The actual group measured 5.5 inches, excluding the one pulled shot which was the first I tried from the sitting position.
    I left the range happy, the main lesson learnt being to take my time when shooting my next quarry and do it properly, not pressurise myself and snatch off a shot. Also that shooting a 22 semi is FUN, and a great way of "warming up" for practicing with a CF.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

Simon your welcome to borrow my grandads wilkinson sword bayonet if your after a fox .Nice write up as usual m8 and glad your enjoying your target practice
    she buys shoes i buy ,shooting,she stops buying shoes,il be amazed

Quote Originally Posted by tozzybum View Post
    Simon your welcome to borrow my grandads wilkinson sword bayonet if your after a fox .Nice write up as usual m8 and glad your enjoying your target practice
    Thanks for the offer tozzy but I'm sorted now, gaffer taped my gralloching knife to the end of my shooting sticks
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    Blog

HI
    When you took the close up shot at the fox did you allow for the height difference between your scope and rifle barrel?
    Next time you go to the range take a shot at 100 yards and then take one at 15 to 20 yards you might be surprised at the difference on the target.
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    HI
    When you took the close up shot at the fox did you allow for the height difference between your scope and rifle barrel?
    Next time you go to the range take a shot at 100 yards and then take one at 15 to 20 yards you might be surprised at the difference on the target.
    Alan
    Thanks for that Alan, food for thought and worth considering in future. ln this case though I'm sure it was a sideways miss caused by a hurried trigger snatch. The fox was sat down facing us, maybe 50 yards out. So I would have had a lot more vertical margin of error than horizontal.
    Poor shooting
    Blog