DanielMcKiernon

Hello all,

I'll shortly be in the market for my first rifle. I've been doing a fair bit of research and looking around and I've decided that for what I'm looking for, for my budget, I'm going for a Browning X Bolt (.308WIN).

I'll be going for one of the eclipse models; I love the stock, it think it looks great and it fits me like a dream.

I am however struggling to pick between the hunter and the varmint.

The hunter weighs in at 3.3kg and has a 20" barrel threaded to M14x1
The varmint weighs in at 3.5kg, with a 24" barrel. There is an option to thread with M18x1.

It will be primarily for hunting, mostly stalking with some possible other quarry. I will however be target shooting to practice. I will definitely want a moderator, so threading is essential. I'm aware the heavier barrel on the varmint may make it better suited to the range than the hunter, and though the weight difference doesn't really bother me; how much of a faff will the extra 4" cause me whilst stalking?

If you have any thoughts/ideas please let me know :)

Daniel

I have a varmint barreled rifle not a Browning but a Sako. My thoughts were similar to yours as I use it on the range also. If I were to choose again I would go with the hunter configuration.

As above. Went for a Sako heavy barrel and it's just not needed. Even range shooting a hunter profile barrel won't be heating up too much if you're sensible.

Go for the hunter, the mod will add at least 4 inches and probably half a kilo stuck on the end of the barrel. My 24" barrel rifle with mod is a horrible unwieldy thing to use, its currently in the 'smiths being cut down!

Thank you for the advice! I was leaning towards the hunter as I thought the varmint + mod would be unwieldy, but not having done a great deal of stalking I thought I'd best check.

Thanks again

Hello all,

I'll shortly be in the market for my first rifle. I've been doing a fair bit of research and looking around and I've decided that for what I'm looking for, for my budget, I'm going for a Browning X Bolt (.308WIN).

I'll be going for one of the eclipse models; I love the stock, it think it looks great and it fits me like a dream.

I am however struggling to pick between the hunter and the varmint.

The hunter weighs in at 3.3kg and has a 20" barrel threaded to M14x1
The varmint weighs in at 3.5kg, with a 24" barrel. There is an option to thread with M18x1.

It will be primarily for hunting, mostly stalking with some possible other quarry. I will however be target shooting to practice. I will definitely want a moderator, so threading is essential. I'm aware the heavier barrel on the varmint may make it better suited to the range than the hunter, and though the weight difference doesn't really bother me; how much of a faff will the extra 4" cause me whilst stalking?

If you have any thoughts/ideas please let me know :)

Daniel
Hunter

I like varmint barrels both my 243,s are varmint 20" but they are a lump with the mod and things,now my 308 and my 22,250 are sporters so i guess ive the best of both worlds but i like the extra weight of the varmint when ime set up in the hide or targeting just not when ime carrying,maybe you should handle as many as you can you dont have to have a 24" varmint.

Ive just ordered a new Sako 85 Varmint, I handled both but felt that the extra weight was not that noticeable, mind you the set trigger as standard on the Sako swung the decision for me, good luck in deciding.

Back