Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Variation for FAC air rifle

Variation for FAC air rifle

Hi

i have just been given permission for vermin control (rabbits) on roughly 200 acres of land. The problem is that most of the land is open fields with limited hedgerows back stops, due to rabbit damage and most fields are high points. So using my current 22lr or 17hmr is not a viable option.
    I currently have a couple of daystate air rifles, but some of the shooting will be out to about 60 to 80 yards. Do you think using a FAC air rifle would be more suitable and if so, do you think a variation to have a FAC air rifle will be a problem?

also I have another 300 acres that I have acquired which the farmer has stated he is having trouble with foxes. I know that my 17hmr would be capable of despatching foxes, but have always fancied a centre fire? Shall I put in for both or speak with my local FAO first before applying.

Thanks
    roy

Frankly, if you have a good reason for wanting them and it appears you do, crack on!

Don't see any issue fella seeing as you have bonfide needs - only suggestion would be to go for a HW100 for FAC air - devastating in .22 between those 60-80yds you mention you need - however still might be worth considering a portable high seat?

Never hear good things about Daystate despite them producing some handsome rifles, including 2 x FAC's being brought back to my RFD with the change made to Weihrauch.

Fab time of year to pick up a decent rabbiting permission - good on you and fill your boots!
    For Gods sake - don't tell her how much I've spent

Ctrl-Alt FACT

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
    Frankly, if you have a good reason for wanting them and it appears you do, crack on!
    thats what I would do...
    ask her that must be obeyed also for a ferret to get 'on top' :-) of the rabbit problem

P.S. think hard before or if you FAC one of your Daystates, as once on ticket there's no going back, maybe worth selling one then buying a secondhand FAC as they will be cheaper? less can have them, look at a .20 and .25 as well

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...-fac-air-rifle
    Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit.
    Elbert Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by kimh View Post
    .....look at a .20 and .25 as well
    +1 - meant to mention that too...

Ctrl-Alt FACT

SD Regular
    P.S. think hard before or if you FAC one of your Daystates, as once on ticket there's no going back, maybe worth selling one then buying a secondhand FAC as they will be cheaper?
    I'm missing something here? Surely it is just a matter of having an air rifle skilled RFD re-regulate it to sub 12 ft/lbs? Re FAC air rifles Holt's have a dedicated section each sale. And BSA PCP guns can be turned up to FAC my air rifle skilled RFDs. Try Rat Works in Newbold Verdon, Leicestershire. An .22 FAC rated with heavy pellets should be quite efficient.

The other route, for the rabbits only, my choice, would be CCI CB Long, or other Zimmer Patrone, in a .22LR rifle or subsonic hollow point. Better than extra expense of an FAC air rifle IMHO.

You might struggle with a tuned up 12ft/lb rifle to push heavier pellets out to 80 yards - the FAC HW100's have different rifling to the 12ft/lb versions in order to stabilise the heavier pellets

Ctrl-Alt FACT

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    I'm missing something here? Surely it is just a matter of having an air rifle skilled RFD re-regulate it to sub 12 ft/lbs? .
    It can be re-regulated to sub 12ft/lb but it will always be an FAC air rifle once it has been modified to FAC level. That makes them harder to sell second hand too, you can easily sell a sub 12ft/lb air rifle second hand.

Thanks for the replies. Will probably go the route of second hand FAC air rifle and weirhauch will probably be my choice. Will look at .20 and .25 as well. Had ferrets before and have had great fun with that. Will speak with FAO on Tuesday and then submit veriation.

SD Regular
    It can be re-regulated to sub 12ft/lb but it will always be an FAC air rifle once it has been modified to FAC level.
    That's the bit I don't understand. I think that you are incorrect. Any s1 shot gun (multi shot) can be altered by an RFD to become a s2 restricted magazine shot gun. It doesn't stay always a s1 shot gun.