zk 601

drummerboy

Hi Guys, just bought a zkk 601 .308 a couple of months back, am just about to do some load development and noticed its barrel is not free floating, if anyone knows anything about these rifles it would be greatly recieved.
Regards Neil.

The barrels on these were never free floating, but I found them to alter point of impact depending on the weather.
Remove some would so that its free floating and they are a different rifle all together.
Combined with the set trigger the accuracy of these is brilliant.

Shoot it first and see how it shoots. I used to have a 601 in 308 and it shot well indeed and all I did was to strip the factory varnish off and oil finish the stock as I found in the wet the factory varnish type finish slippy. The oil finish was better and just needed a little oil rubbed in after it was dried off.

A friend in the gun club had a 300 Win mag Brno and that too shot very well with no alterations ......................................... so shoot it first and see how it performs.

Just to let you guys know, i took levigsp to his word and floated the barrel, what a transformation, grouping nicely now.
Neil

Just to let you guys know, i took levigsp to his word and floated the barrel, what a transformation, grouping nicely now.
Neil

So the other 3 peoples advice was incorrect then?

I have to wonder did you try the rifle out before you altered it? You first posts suggests that you had not.

Or did you just plough ahead and do it without shooting the rilfe first?

It would be nice to know if we are wasting our time offering suggestions and advice from personal experience for the future.

So the other 3 peoples advice was incorrect then?

I have to wonder did you try the rifle out before you altered it? You first posts suggests that you had not.

Or did you just plough ahead and do it without shooting the rilfe first?

It would be nice to know if we are wasting our time offering suggestions and advice from personal experience for the future.

Hi Conure, I am so sorry if I have offended you, I did try the rifle and out of five shots only three slightly grouped and the other two were flyers, and this is why I always use this site for suggestions as you always get good advice.
Kindest Regards Neil

Hi Conure, I am so sorry if I have offended you, I did try the rifle and out of five shots only three slightly grouped and the other two were flyers, and this is why I always use this site for suggestions as you always get good advice.
Kindest Regards Neil

Not offended just curious. Thank you for the information though. We others just must have been lucky with our 601's. Though frowned on I found mine liked the 165 grain Nosler Ballistic tip bullet the Roe and Muntjac were not so keen on it though. It was this combination that I shot my first Roe Buck.

The load that I had for this Nosler never shot tiny clusters that I remember but they never strayed to more than about 7/8" for 5 shots. It was only last week that we had a clear out and I found some old targets on the shelf from this time and most from the Brno showed 3 shots touching or almost with two shots about half to one bullet diameter away from the three. The rifle and load was effective on Deer and Fox and this was using a Zeiss Jena 4x scope with the Tri Post cross hair, A higher mag scope with a duplex cross hair may have made a difference I suppose. It brought back some good memories but the targets went onto the bonfire as we are clearing out stuff ready to put the place on the market.

Not offended just curious. Thank you for the information though. We others just must have been lucky with our 601's. Though frowned on I found mine liked the 165 grain Nosler Ballistic tip bullet the Roe and Muntjac were not so keen on it though. It was this combination that I shot my first Roe Buck.

The load that I had for this Nosler never shot tiny clusters that I remember but they never strayed to more than about 7/8" for 5 shots. It was only last week that we had a clear out and I found some old targets on the shelf from this time and most from the Brno showed 3 shots touching or almost with two shots about half to one bullet diameter away from the three. The rifle and load was effective on Deer and Fox and this was using a Zeiss Jena 4x scope with the Tri Post cross hair, A higher mag scope with a duplex cross hair may have made a difference I suppose. It brought back some good memories but the targets went onto the bonfire as we are clearing out stuff ready to put the place on the market.

Hi, i bought a brandnew sako 85 .243 and i really like it, but decided to get the brno .308 for the odd stag or two, and i really rate the old brno i think it might just get more use than the sako.
Regards Neil

I have a Brno 600. they arent freefloating. Its the way they were designed I guess. had to fiddle around with different bullets until I found it likes Nosler partitions best. rws KS also groups very well in it...

Some rifles if the fore-end pressure is consistent will shoot well.
However that is mostly NOT the case. My mates Lee Enfield No1 Mk3 with it's 'pipecleaner' barrel, will shoot very well indeed as long as he has the little spring and plunger at the fore-end putting a constant 4lbs upward pressure on it.
However my No4 Mk1 shoots 50mm at 200m with a free floated barrel because it has the heavier Australian (Lithgow) barrel fitted to it and doesn't whip around like the No1s.
Stutzen rifles normally shoot well for a few shots then throw a flyer. The makers understood that this is not really important when the average hunter only fires one or two shots in anger. The compromise between barrel length and full stock convenience works. It would not work if the shooter tried to shoot a 60 round target match with said Stutzen.

Last edited:
I've a zkk601 deluxe in 308 with a standard trigger and it's very accurate without any fetteling of the stock etc.
im using 150gr hornady btsps through it.

I have a Brno 601 that shoots 95 grain SST's into .75 - 1 inch group for three shots, like clockwork every time. I get 3040 fps with them.
It only has the standard trigger, but I prefer it anyway.
The rifle is factory unchanged, and does not have a floated barrel. Its the only load handload I have tried in the rifle, and I haven't bothered with anything (Factory ammo Winchester 100 g Power Points will go about 1.5 inches.)

I've got the 601 in .308, had the same issue of fliers, found it to be from shooting in different positions and different pressures from the stock end on the barrel. Made it free floating but when putting it back in the stock found it married into the stock at the magazine, and gave a small rocking movement, so needed a bit more work to settle the action into the stock. Old gun with old woodwork so maybe it's just warped over time.
Now it shoots consistently and groups well. Each gun has its own problems and fixes I suppose.
Mark

Back