OCD...in Dogs??

arthursc

My 14 month old cocker pup has taken to chewing his mothers ear.

She is not too happy about his "obsessive" behaviour.

Is there anything that I can paste on her ears or stop this behaviour.

He has gotten to the point where he is making her ear sore.

They share the same kennel....

Regards
ArthursC

Normally I'd suggest hot mustard or vick (the stuff you rub on your chest for a cold) but I suspect that it would annoy the bitch as much as the pup! Try just treating the sore patch with betadine - hopefully he won't like the taste of it, and it will help with the recovery of the sore patch rather than irritating it more...

Pippa

You can get a fluid that stops people biting their nails, a little bit on the ear wil do no harm to the dog.

Tested on humans :D

My Lab has a bad case of OCD, he cant stop eating!

I have a spaniel with OCD, she is obsessed with the fish in my pond at the bottom of the garden. This dates back a couple of years ago when she would come fishing with me, we were in North Wales and staying in a little cottage by a lough. There were no trout in the lough but I was happily catching small perch using nymphs. The dog would always sit beside me and watch me fish, it was a very contented scene. I was in the process of landing one of the little perch, had the fish on the surface and reached down for the landing net when the fish splashed and got off. The dog gave me 'that look' you know the one that they give you when you miss a cracking bird or rabbit, as if to say 'what did you let that go for?'

Anyway the next fish I caught a bit later, there I was bringing it in to land again when the dog obviously thought 'you're useless at this' and jumped in to retrieve the perch, hook line and all! The fish was delivered to hand and unharmed and quickly returned to the water, which the dog was not impressed with! I no longer take her fishing as she is now completely obsessed with water and fish.

If left to her own devices she would spend hours just staring at the fish in the pond. If we go anywhere with water she'll stare into the water in hope of seeing a fish or even cathcing one, she has on occasion even fallen in! I think it's the fact that she can see the movement of the fish but there is no sent to pick up on, it is funny if not a bit tiresome at times.

Anyway, not much help to you and your problem, but your not alone in having a dog with OCD. I think with spaniels it is very much in their nature to become obsessed over things. If they wern't obsessed with hunting they would'nt be much good!!!:lol:

I have a spaniel with OCD, she is obsessed with the fish in my pond at the bottom of the garden. This dates back a couple of years ago when she would come fishing with me, we were in North Wales and staying in a little cottage by a lough. There were no trout in the lough but I was happily catching small perch using nymphs. The dog would always sit beside me and watch me fish, it was a very contented scene. I was in the process of landing one of the little perch, had the fish on the surface and reached down for the landing net when the fish splashed and got off. The dog gave me 'that look' you know the one that they give you when you miss a cracking bird or rabbit, as if to say 'what did you let that go for?'

Anyway the next fish I caught a bit later, there I was bringing it in to land again when the dog obviously thought 'you're useless at this' and jumped in to retrieve the perch, hook line and all! The fish was delivered to hand and unharmed and quickly returned to the water, which the dog was not impressed with! I no longer take her fishing as she is now completely obsessed with water and fish.

If left to her own devices she would spend hours just staring at the fish in the pond. If we go anywhere with water she'll stare into the water in hope of seeing a fish or even cathcing one, she has on occasion even fallen in! I think it's the fact that she can see the movement of the fish but there is no sent to pick up on, it is funny if not a bit tiresome at times.

Anyway, not much help to you and your problem, but your not alone in having a dog with OCD. I think with spaniels it is very much in their nature to become obsessed over things. If they wern't obsessed with hunting they would'nt be much good!!!:lol:

LMAO...

You have made me see the funny side of it really...just to add, now the pups father has taken to try and shag the ass off his son....the one who keeps chewing his mothers ear.....who in turn has started to eat ****!! I feel a padded kennel and straight jackets are a coming.

Reg(t)ards

Colin.

Back