Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stingers in anschutz 64

Stingers in anschutz 64

Anybody used stingers in an anschutz 64 action? Having a longer case I'm not sure if they're compatable with the anschutz chamber and I can't seem to find any information on this. Comments appreciated, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbasher View Post
    Anybody used stingers in an anschutz 64 action? Having a longer case I'm not sure if they're compatable with the anschutz chamber and I can't seem to find any information on this. Comments appreciated, thanks.
    If it has anything approaching a match chamber is it not recommended. I'm reasonably certain that Anschutz would say no.~Muir

Stingers will not chamber in my Finnfire which has a match chamber and I suspect you will find the same with the Anschutz.

Thanks, I suspected that it might not be wise to load them. Don't want to cause any damage to the chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbasher View Post
    Thanks, I suspected that it might not be wise to load them. Don't want to cause any damage to the chamber.
    Or your eyebrows when the back of the case blows off!~Muir

It seems daft (& dangerous) to me that any manufacturer would make ammo that doesn't properly & safely match the same name chambering on a rifle whether it is a "match" chamber or not!
    Especially without publishing warnings. A standard should be just that! Rant over!!

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post
    It seems daft (& dangerous) to me that any manufacturer would make ammo that doesn't properly & safely match the same name chambering on a rifle whether it is a "match" chamber or not!
    Especially without publishing warnings. A standard should be just that! Rant over!!

Ian
    Ian, There are several specs for 22LR chambers. ANSI Standard, Bentz, Match. Almost all manufacturers of rifles with match chambers will state in the owner's manual not to use Stingers. Some companies, like Green Mountain will stamp this warning on the barrel. CCI's site has this warning shown below. Why anybody would want to shoot such ammo in an Anschutz 64 is beyond me...~Muir

"Use only in firearms having standard ANSI sporting barrel/chamber dimensions."

The above warnings regarding using CCI STINGERS in match barrels also apply to their VELOCITOR rounds which, whilst having the standard 0.608" case length as opposed to the 0.170" of the stinger, have the bullet driving band set further forward than a standard round which can engage on the lead angle of the chamber before the bolt can be closed. The pic below shows how far a VELOCITOR protrudes with the bullet engaged against the lands.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Ian, There are several specs for 22LR chambers. ANSI Standard, Bentz, Match. Almost all manufacturers of rifles with match chambers will state in the owner's manual not to use Stingers. Some companies, like Green Mountain will stamp this warning on the barrel. CCI's site has this warning shown below. Why anybody would want to shoot such ammo in an Anschutz 64 is beyond me...~Muir

"Use only in firearms having standard ANSI sporting barrel/chamber dimensions."

Thanks Muir - Silly me! I should have known that industry standards aren't properly defined & published in the shooting world.
    On a website is not the place for such a warning - It surely should be clearly stated on each box of ammo IMHO. (A bit like the "Smoking Kills" warnings on fag packets.
    I don't have an Anschutz (don't like them) or a match chambered rifle as far as I know. - I stick to RWS Subsonic or Lapua Speed Ace for all my 22s & have never had a problem or poor accuracy. Ignorance should be bliss - pity organizations keep thinking they have to rewrite/modify long existing standards.

Ian

Some other rifles you would not expect to have match chambers, indeed do. S&W told me their MP15-22 has a match chamber, to not shoot hypervelocity LR, no Stingers, that standard Federal shot well - and it does. I also tried some pistol match in it : old Remington and CCI Green Tag shot well, as did a new box of RWS Subsonic LR Match.