Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Biltong and Jerky Recipes

Biltong and Jerky Recipes

Can anyone tell me what the difference between biltong and jerky is and does anyone have any good recipes?

Jerkey are thin strips of meat which are dried whereas billtong is chopped meat formed into a thin cylinder and dried (I think, as I have not made billtong).

I have made made lots of jerky - it's very simple really. Just thinly slice fat and sinew free meat with about a 3-5mm thickness. Marinade in salt, pepper, soy sauce, chilli, sugar or whatever flavour combination you want (salt is crucial tho) for a couple of days, then drain, quickly rinse and arrange on a grill rack and place into an oven on its absolute lowest setting (<60c) and dry, turning occasionally for 4-6 hours until dry but not brittle.

Allow to cool, and demolish!!

The venison should be a good cut, ie from haunches or from a long grained section of meat.

1. Slice meat with grain ( across grain produces tougher and more fragile pieces) 1/8th thick or thereabouts.
    2. Marinade. For approx 2 pounds meat, 1 kilo- ish add 2 tablespoons Teriyaki sauce , 4 tablespoons dark soy sauce,3 tablespoons soft brown sugar or dark treacle /molasses. 1 tablespoon crushed black peppers, 1/2 oz of stabilizer (from any good butchers suppliers) this kills enzymes I believe!!.
    3. Mix meat and marinade keep in fridge for a couple days turn frequently.(or when you remember to.)
    4. The most important bit dry, dont cook the venison, I found that the oven at 100c is enough. Hang meat strips on toothpicks on oven shelf. Put a drip tray underneath, prop the door open with a wooden spoon or something , to let condensation out.
    5. Allow at least 8 hours to cure , check for dryness often as you like , when you think the Jerky is dry enough
    allow to rest till cool.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Culver View Post
    Can anyone tell me what the difference between biltong and jerky is and does anyone have any good recipes?
    Lots of information out there on this.

Biltong is of South African origin, and comes from the Dutch words bil (meaning "rump" or "buttock") and tong (meaning "tongue" or "strip")

Jerky is of South American origin and comes from the Quechua word ch'arki (meaning "dried, salted meat"). The Quechua were an Incan tribe.

So Biltong and Jerky are largely the same, but with different origins.

Other countries have similar approaches to preserving meat, hence Bakkwa from China, Pemmican from the Native Americans, Kuivaliha from Finland, Bündnerfleisch from Switzerland, Borts from Mongolia, etc.

In fact it seems like the UK is one of the few countries that never developed a similar method of preserving meat, possibly because of our damp climate? Bacon curing is about as close as we seem to have got!
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Blog Entries

Biltong and Jerky Recipes

Half the fun is making your own flavourings!

Avoid using oil. I quite like using Laphroigh for a hint of smoke, salt, and various chilli infusions.

If you get hooked you need something like this.
    Food Dehydrator Machine with Thermostat Control - £29.99 : Oypla - Stocking the very best in Toys, Electrical, Furniture, Homeware, Garden, Gifts and much more!
    Last edited by NorthDorset; 29-03-2016 at 15:14.
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

There is a guy local I'm pals with & he is Zimbabwe born. & bred , often have a beer with him & he makes his own biltong , I often get & by Christ it's amazing !!!

Paul

Proper SA Biltong is a very basic recipe with lots of toasted coriander seeds. Nearly all my Muntjac ends up being dried as Biltong as the kids take it to school and munch on it at home. We are never without some in the fridge!

This is my recipe but I can't tell you measures as I just do it by eye!

Red wine vinegar
    Worcs sauce
    Soy sauce
    Crushed peppercorns
    Plenty of toasted coriander seeds crushed
    Brown sugar

Cut venison into strips about 1/2" thick
    Cover in course sea salt and place in fridge for about an hour just to draw some of the moisture out. If left in too long it makes the meat quite salty.
    Combine ingredients and marinade overnight.
    Hang in a drying box or use the low oven method until it dries out. You will find a chewyness that you settle on eventually and the dryer it is the longer it keeps.

That's about it,

Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Good thread here too showing my home made drying box,

Stratts

Veni Biltong- Veni Jerky
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    Proper SA Biltong is a very basic recipe with lots of toasted coriander seeds. Nearly all my Muntjac ends up being dried as Biltong as the kids take it to school and munch on it at home. We are never without some in the fridge!

This is my recipe but I can't tell you measures as I just do it by eye!

Red wine vinegar
    Worcs sauce
    Soy sauce
    Crushed peppercorns
    Plenty of toasted coriander seeds crushed
    Brown sugar

Cut venison into strips about 1/2" thick
    Cover in course sea salt and place in fridge for about an hour just to draw some of the moisture out. If left in too long it makes the meat quite salty.
    Combine ingredients and marinade overnight.
    Hang in a drying box or use the low oven method until it dries out. You will find a chewyness that you settle on eventually and the dryer it is the longer it keeps.

That's about it,

Stratts
    I was told Coriander and more Coriander is the South African way.
    Make your own Biltong box by making a box from off cuts of ply, say a box 3ft high x 18" wide x 18" deep.
    install a light bulb at the bottom and a desk fan in the top.
    Hang meat from dowel rods.
    leave to 'cook' for between 3-7 days depending on how tough / chewy you like it.
    South African i worked with said the cardboard box a small fridge had been packaged in was the best biltong box he ever had.

Basil. Just bought a Dehydrator. Will definitely try your recipe. Thank you for sharing.