Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: deerstalker just started out,had first stalk 22nd march !!!

deerstalker just started out,had first stalk 22nd march !!!

hi all my name is daz, i first got into shooting through a friend,never thought much of it at first and then.....got the bug...been in a rifle club for 3 years now,which i go often...enjoy the distance targets most,all good until i went on a paid stalk the other day thinking not much of it until i went out,well guess what i got the bug again !! and now i know its going to cost me...been in touch with firearms officer to be told i'm only a target shooter and cannot get any soft point ammo, told me it will be 5 years wait before i will be allowed to purchase some. which is a problem because the only way i can go stalking is going on paid stalks with estates rifle and ammo...which to be honest i felt like giving it all up...anybody else had this problem...

Quote Originally Posted by honestshooter View Post
    hi all my name is daz, i first got into shooting through a friend,never thought much of it at first and then.....got the bug...been in a rifle club for 3 years now,which i go often...enjoy the distance targets most,all good until i went on a paid stalk the other day thinking not much of it until i went out,well guess what i got the bug again !! and now i know its going to cost me...been in touch with firearms officer to be told i'm only a target shooter and cannot get any soft point ammo, told me it will be 5 years wait before i will be allowed to purchase some. which is a problem because the only way i can go stalking is going on paid stalks with estates rifle and ammo...which to be honest i felt like giving it all up...anybody else had this problem...
    urm, tell them they are wrong and to check the home office guidleines..... Utter nonsense.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

If you want to go stalking they need to allow you expanding ammo. Don't give up, you definitely don't need to wait 5 years. Get your shooting insurance provider to help you sort this out.

And Welcome!

Rory

Quote Originally Posted by honestshooter View Post
    Take note of the bits in RED

Appendix 3: Conditions for firearm certificates
    Forces must ensure that where additional conditions are applied to certificates that they are kept to a minimum and are only applied where they are both proportionate and necessary.

Where the firearm is authorised for more than one purpose, care must be taken to omit the word ‘only’ in the conditions.

An asterisk conditions specific firearms on a certificate but may be replaced by the phrase, "The firearms and ammunition….." where a single condition applies to all firearms (and ammunition) on the certificate.

1. Quarry Shooting (for vermin, fox or deer)

1. The *calibre RIFLE/COMBINATION/SMOOTH-BORE GUN/SOUND MODERATOR and ammunition shall be used for shooting vermin including fox, and ground game/ deer (delete as appropriate) and any other lawful quarry, and for zeroing on ranges, on land deemed suitable by the chief officer of police for the area where the land is situated and over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot.

(The words underlined may be omitted once the certificate holder has demonstrated competence. There is no set time for this and each case should be considered on its individual merits)

Tim.243

Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

5 years is a joke, that's a new one on me.

First of all take your DMQ Level 1. Then gain a little more experience with some stalking outings. Make sure you get a receipt each time and keep a log of what you saw and shot.
    Apply for your variation on your FAC and there should NO reason why they should refuse you.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Am I correct in assuming that the OP already possesses a rifle that is capable of firing a cartridge, which is lawful for shooting deer ?

If that be the case the OP needs to apply in writing for the conditions to be changed from exclusively target shooting to include the lawful shooting of deer. He should also apply for expanding ammunition to be authorised for that rifle.

The OP will need to provide evidence that he has the opportunity to shoot deer, which may include his paid stalking bookings.

If the OP can provide such evidence then the change of condition and authorisation of expanding ammunition should be granted.

The five year wait etc. is complete nonsense, which either emanates from a misunderstanding or incompetence on the part of the person the OP consulted.
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

Welcome to the site, look at all the good advice you have got already. You had better ask to speak to the firearms officers immediate boss as he obviously needs some urgent training.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

many thanks for your reply....it helps

Thats a great help many thanks

i only asked the firearms officer a simple question and because i said i needed to get soft point ammo to go on a paid stalk he said no chance...said i had to use estate rifle and ammo.....so i told him of a friend who shoots both target and deer he said that your either a target shooter or a land shooter but you can't do both? i was so confused by this..