Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Binos or thermal spotter

Binos or thermal spotter

This is really for people who are using thermal spotters for locating deer. If you had to make a choice if you were going out stalking in a forest would you take the thermal or binos.

Don't use a TI but in answer to your question what would a TI unit tell you other than there's one there. Would it tell you sex ?
    Would it tell you if it was one on the cull plan ?
    Would it tell you age or condition ?
    Would it tell you species ?
    All these questions can be answered by using a st of binoculars
    Regards
    Jimmy
    Next time you're walking down the street and see a homeless person go buy them a sandwich and a coffee, change of fate and it could be you one day !!!

BUY BRITISH !!!!

Ive been out with a mate and his thermal it shows you alot of stuff you can't see I'd guess unless your just after munties you could waste alot of time stalking In on the wrong sex

If your cull plan is to get as many deer as possible regardless of age, sex etc then is the thermal the answer.

If you use thermal then you need bins too. Locate with thermal, Check with bins then shoot if appropriate

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy milnes View Post
    Don't use a TI but in answer to your question what would a TI unit tell you other than there's one there. Would it tell you sex ?
    Would it tell you if it was one on the cull plan ?
    Would it tell you age or condition ?
    Would it tell you species ?
    All these questions can be answered by using a st of binoculars
    Regards
    Jimmy
    Can tell you don't use thermal.

To the OP forget your bins.

They are awesome in the woods. Locate your deer then look through your scope for sex condition etc. Your TI will tell you that your cull plan will be completed much quicker than your mate with bins and you larder will be twice as full!
    Last edited by liongeorge; 29-03-2016 at 19:58.

Thermal! The thermal is used 95% of the time to find the deer. The bino is only for the occasional back-up to ID sex/age etc. Others I know now also use their Thermal virtually exclusively when out stalking. Please no comments that this is not sporty!
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Using your rifle scope for target identification......I'm sure I read a warning about that somewhere?

Here's an image from the FLIR website:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	134 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	68462

An idea what's behind those deer? Nope, me neither, but I'm not the one about to point my rifle at them in the course of finding out

I know, I know, you're in the woods so there won't be any houses, roads, cars, buildings, pylons, telegraph poles......
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

+ 1 I guess.

David.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Hamburger View Post
    Thermal! The thermal is used 95% of the time to find the deer. The bino is only for the occasional back-up to ID sex/age etc. Others I know now also use their Thermal virtually exclusively when out stalking. Please no comments that this is not sporty!
    You've got it Erik.

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Using your rifle scope for target identification......I'm sure I read a warning about that somewhere?

Here's an image from the FLIR website:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	134 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	68462

An idea what's behind those deer? Nope, me neither, but I'm not the one about to point my rifle at them in the course of finding out

I know, I know, you're in the woods so there won't be any houses, roads, cars, buildings, pylons, telegraph poles......
    Have you used thermal yet Willie? With respect to back stop etc You've still got eyes in your head haven't you? It helps to know your ground as well. Where did I advocate target ID, I said sex etc, you don't randomly swing your rifle around randomly as has been suggested with NV. You spot the deer...you can tell it's a deer. Bins won't necessarily help you with much of your list in the woods and as for roads and houses you can often see them right through cover that you would never see them with bins day or night.

I don't know about you but much of the woodland stalking I have done you see deer relatively close range, gun on sticks if correct sex , species etc and safe to do so shot taken. If you spot the deer, faffed with bins then gun up the deer would be gone. So why is this different and any less safe. In fact it can give you more time to assess the situation choose an animal, manouver into safe possition or wait for a good back stop etc because you are much less likely to bump into them.

Is it now impossible to go stalking without bins?