Cast bullet for Muntjac

Bilbo

I have just acquired a 190gr 309 hollow point mould from CBE in Australia. Initial reason for it was to use it subsonic on foxes where noise is an issue. I am well aware that they bounce in much the same way as 22 LR does but have a couple of places which are very safe from ricochet.
190gr 309 cast bullet.jpg
Doing the energy calc 1600 fps with 190gr comes in at around 1,080 ft/lbs so well within cast bullet velocities with gas check.

The hollowpoint depth is adjustable on the mould so thinking that wih a 1/4" hollow should get some quite reasonable expanision with soft lead (BHN 10/11 - roofing lead soft).

Having shot a lot of cast bullets through both a 308 and 300 Blackout / Whisper there is hardly any recoil. I am also thinking that the meat damage on a muntjac would be much less at these types of velocities with a lead bullet.

I have achieved very good accuracy circa 1" to 1.5" groups @ 100 yds with similar (non-hollow point) cast bullets.

I would appreciate comments on whether this is a good or bad idea.

Cheers

Bilbo

Last edited:
so long as you can demonstrate controlled expansion and the MV/ME is up to snuff I can't see any reason not too

Not a requirement in England & Wales - check the Deer Act, simply needs to be a soft-nosed or hollow-nosed bullet.

yes....and why is that?
to enable expansion..

not so much a legal requirement as a humane one

I wouldn't use a cast bullet on a deer without first testing it for expansion and terminal integrity

I cast and sell a .30 cal 151 Gr HP bullet most of my customers are shooting them subsonic and having good kills mainly on goats and Fallow deer out to 100 metres, one has head shot 20 Sika deer in the last year with them the few that have been recovered all expanded in the classic mushroom back to the crimp groove, the lead mix is 50/50 wheel weights and straight lead with 2% tin add accuracy is good one ragged hole at 50 metres and 1 1/4"- 1 1/2" at 100 metres,

277263677.jpg

Back