Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fallow sizes?

Fallow sizes?

I shot a fallow kid on Saturday in Yorkshire which went 30lb head and legs on. A really small specimen.
    speaking to a friend near Plymouth they've had some very small fallow kids around that area too.
    Is this something countrywide and what are your thoughts on such small kids being about?

personnaly I suspect we are seeing kids that would probably have succumbed during a normal winter and they've survived because it's been so mild.

Tony
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

......likely a very late fawn(?)

I saw a one back end of October which I am sure could have only been a few weeks old at most, as you say if we had a hard winter it would have likely not survived.

ATB

T

Well the mild winter didn't help it much did it? It still didn't survive!

Quote Originally Posted by baguio View Post
    Well the mild winter didn't help it much did it? It still didn't survive!

It definitely didn't survive....
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Agree with that,

Have had a couple of fallow kids and sika calves which have had a very low body weight. Hardly any fat on them but otherwise seemed healthy enough. Also had a few very low weight fallow does which surprisingly were in calf. Cant say we have had a hard winter down here....wet yes but not cold. Although if you speak to a shepherd its the wet that does for the lambs and sheep rather than the cold!

All seem to have been in good condition round here.

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    I shot a fallow kid on Saturday in Yorkshire which went 30lb head and legs on. A really small specimen.
    speaking to a friend near Plymouth they've had some very small fallow kids around that area too.
    Is this something countrywide and what are your thoughts on such small kids being about?

personnaly I suspect we are seeing kids that would probably have succumbed during a normal winter and they've survived because it's been so mild.

Tony

Tony

Only thinking the same last week when we took a fallow doe at 40lb. Also this years doe cull has been very hard.

WH
    “Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
    –Fred Bear -

SD Regular
    North yorkshire/sometimes down south and occasionally further north
    In the hambleton area of Yorkshire the fallow do indeed seem to on the small side! It's possible it could be a genetics thing ? I've seen a lot of small fallow kids/followers, which could lead you to believe the birthing times have altered.
    I've noticed a similar size thing in a captive herd at Whitworth hall in County Durham. .. these deer were unfortunately a closed herd with a far amount of inbreeding.

Probably the result of a Fallow kid being covered in its first year and then giving birth much later than usual.
    I posted a thread on it a while back here:
    http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...w+covered+year
    MS