Thread: Nosler .30 150 gr. Partition Gold Moly Free, what happened to them?

SD Regular
    On the banks of the Columbia River, Portland OR. USA

Nosler .30 150 gr. Partition Gold Moly Free, what happened to them?

A few years ago, I bought about 6 boxes of the stuff on close out. I tried them in my 30/06 with IRM 4350, and RL 19. I could not get better than a 1.5" group. Truth be told, that would work for my kind of hunting, but I prefer something that prints at least 1" or better at a 100. I gave them to a friend, however, I recently found 1/2 a box and am going to try them in the .308. Anybody know why they stopped making them? Perhaps I was not the only one that couldn't get a real good group with them.

My guess is that the construction of that bullet and the Fail Safe made them too expensive to produce, and to keep all the dissimilar materials concentric - very necessary for stabile and true flight.

Winchester brought out the XP3 and dropped the Fail Safe. It is more like the Accubond, Scirocco, and Barnes TTSX in being simpler and very accurate, cheaper to make and sell, wider profit margins.

SD Regular
    On the banks of the Columbia River, Portland OR. USA
    Did you ever try them? Could you get yours to shoot.

No, I never tried the Partition Gold nor the FailSafe bullets, but I knew several people who went to Africa years in a row and swore by them on big game. 1.5 MOA was probably not an issue, as most shots were inside 150 yards, and these fellows were not super duper marksmen. They were wealthy, retired, in no rush to take a short hunt, and passed up shots they could not make.

Bought some of the 150 grain partition golds in .277 years ago...the main structural difference in that particular bullet was that the partition was omved farther forward so that the bullet would retain about 10% more weight and penetrate a bit deeper. That one was discontinued years ago...I think because: 1. Although some people liked the bullet, in reality, performance was usually no better than a standard partition & 2. With the classic partitions and rise of the Accubond & BT, they had successful bullet lines that they felt covered the market and hunters needs well with a modest selection of distinct game bullet offerings.

Just a combo of my thoughts and a few things I heard a while back.