Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deer Feeding Stations - Ethics Discussion.

Deer Feeding Stations - Ethics Discussion.

First of all if this "Discussion Thread" does not interest you then I apologise for wasting your time spent logging on to this thread just as I also apologise if this subject has been covered before. However I think that there might be some members who have an interest and views or thoughts on the subject which they might like to put forward and discuss!
    I was having a conversation with a friend about the use of deer feeder and one thing that he did say got me thinking! What he said was "is using a deer feeder to attract deer ethical"?
    The ethical side of this is what interests me therefore I believe that this is well worth discussing amongst those that are interested.
    What are your thoughts regarding the ethics of using a deer feeder to attract deer when it is used to monitor how many deer there are in any set area and what condition those deer are in?
    Do you believe that it is right or wrong to use a feeding station to attract deer in order to monitor their condition and numbers so as to decide on which (If any) of the deer warrant culling, or should shooters rely purely on their stalking skills and knowledge of the ground to find what deer there are in their area and to see what condition they are in?

(As a side note I do appreciate that if anyone were to shoot a deer near a deer feeding station it could soon "educate" any other deer which might not have been spotted in the same area at the time, and also that any deer in that area might (Especially in the case of a particularly hard winter) become (Partly) reliant on that feeding station, as well as the fact that a good feeding station might attract more deer into the area than were actually wanted)
    Last edited by FrenchieBoy; 31-03-2016 at 11:39.

I don't see it as unethical in any way even if you shot every deer you saw I doubt you'd shoot every deer that was coming to it. Your also taking some pressure of the eco system by supplementing their feed win win I think

Interesting subject and I'll watch with interest.

As a relative novice, take my view for what it's worth, but I think shooting over a feeding station detracts from the field craft elements of stalking. Using a feeder station as a means of attracting deer to a trail cam or whatever to monitor them sits OK with me though.

Lines get blurred though when you consider that if you know that deer will migrate toward a feeding station at a certain time of day, would it be OK to set up a high seat en route? Is this any different to setting up a high seat on a traffic corridor between two natural feeding areas?

Interesting one!

Take this hypothetical situation.

You are within an arrangement with a national body to reduce the number of deer in an area for ecological reasons. The area in question is open to the public and is criss crossed with footpaths attracting dog walkers and other nature lovers.

You know there are a large number of deer there from damage to crops/trees etc but the deer are elusive or nocturnal and monitoring is very difficult with constant public presence.

Deer feeding stations would be an ideal way of attracting deer to a corner of the area where you can count, observe and monitor the numbers thus being able to refine your cull plan and yes then undertake the cull in a manner that is safer and more "predictable" than walked up stalking or sitting for hours in hi seats.

So in this case I would have no ethical or moral objection as it satisfies a number of criteria.

Now interpose a paying client, a blind/hide/hi seat within 50 metres of the station and a large buck/stag......now, that, I would have an issue with.

Double standards? Maybe, but it is back to the oft discussed area of our sport/hobby/pursuit vs business.

Perhaps it is only when money, financial gain or greed are placed into the equation does it become an ethical dilemma.

What about female urine in estrogen to attract male deer to your hide to shoot them. Why stop at feeding stations for attractants?
    Blaser K95 Stutzen - the ultimate deer stalking rifle

Not all visitors to this site are recreational stalkers . For those that need to control high numbers attracting deer to specific areas can be an advantage, safer and help achieve the required cull plan. Are we confusing ethics with a romantic view of stalking?

SD Regular
    I see no difference to deer feeding stations to pheasant/partridge/duck feeding stations. As log as you don't sit above them in a high seat and bladder them as they are having a quick feed.

Worse IMHO are highland crofters who sow a small patch of turnips to then use the "enclosed land" permission to shoot deer out of their croft window. Yes...it DOES go on.

Nothing wrong with Ethics.........
    CH

My view is that if you want to know what is on your land the most efficient method is to set up a number of feeding stations but not only for deer, it's very interesting to place a broad spectrum of food down and monitor the resulting visitors by the use of cameras ( I use ltl acorns) for instance I was amazed last year by the number of foxes that were showing up to feast on half a ton of apples dumped on the ground in a heap, I later took a good number of those foxes after setting up a seat nearby.

atb WB.

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    Not all visitors to this site are recreational stalkers . For those that need to control high numbers attracting deer to specific areas can be an advantage, safer and help achieve the required cull plan. Are we confusing ethics with a romantic view of stalking?
    There's stalking and there's stalking. One is gentle walk in the country side. The other is set from Predator.
    Blaser K95 Stutzen - the ultimate deer stalking rifle