Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6.5x55 ammo

6.5x55 ammo

Hi guys
    I have just completed a varistion for 6.5x55 and i would like some advice on the ammo available like what bullet weights are best for roe fsllow and a few muntys
    I have never used this cal and know nothing about it as i was always a 25_06 man
    Many thanks
    Ben

I can recommend you the Twin Core from RWS- not cheap, but really effective in this caliber. Shot many boars and roedeers with this bullet.
    Greetinx from Austria

Started off with a load based on 120grn Nosler BTs when I first got mine. Moved away due to meat damage and getting Noslers just became a pain.
    Used Hornady 129grn I/L for a while - very good head (same load as below).
    Now using 129grn Sierras (much cheaper), shoot like a dream (46grn N160) and don't give the damage that I used to see with the Noslers.
    A mate uses 140grn Sierras and swears by them. I've just bought a box to try them out this summer.
    I also have mates who swear by the A-max (123grn) but never really got on with them myself.
    All being pushed through a Sauer 202 21 inch barrel.
    Lovely calibre.

Ben,

Find a load your rifle likes.....and stick with it!

Mine likes 140gr Amax home loads and factory load Norma 140gr Nos Partitions.

Drop everything from munty to reds

Its a great calibre...enjoy!

DT

Thanks fir the info guys its much appreciated
    I am looking for some stalking on muntjack anywhere in the south west of anybody can help
    I can pay cash or swap some roe buck shooting back the other way if thats of any interest
    Thanks ben

Federal Powershock140 grain softpoints have worked well for me on everything from muntjac to red stags. I have sent you a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by stecad View Post
    Started off with a load based on 120grn Nosler BTs when I first got mine. Moved away due to meat damage and getting Noslers just became a pain.
    Used Hornady 129grn I/L for a while - very good head (same load as below).
    Now using 129grn Sierras (much cheaper), shoot like a dream (46grn N160) and don't give the damage that I used to see with the Noslers.
    A mate uses 140grn Sierras and swears by them. I've just bought a box to try them out this summer.
    I also have mates who swear by the A-max (123grn) but never really got on with them myself.
    All being pushed through a Sauer 202 21 inch barrel.
    Lovely calibre.
    Exactly what he said!!
    nosler BT too destructive. Sierra 140GK good gor everything from red downwards.

dont forget the ppu 139gr cheap as chips ,
    DONT START

Hornady 129g SST's very accurate but very destructive if hitting anything solid like shoulder etc, can pencil clean through the engine room giving a good clean kill though so just depends on shot placement! 120g nosler BT's very accurate again out of mine but last beast I shot the chest cavity was souped and it still ran into thick cover. Used Hornady interlock 140g with good success now trying out Sierra Pro Hunter 120g with good results! Trial and error for me and seeing what bullets can do with different shot placement is all part of gaining experience! I load my own which again is a whole other hobby in itself! Experiment a bit an see what suits your rifle. Plenty of threads on here about the 6.5x55 to help you along the way.

Alba gu brąth

Sauer 101 6.5x55, Beretta Silver Pigeon 12g Over&Under

I can also vouch for RWS DK twin core 140 g I use these on everything I shoot inc fox