Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Now the roe with the new camera body, the lens AND the teleconverter

  1. #1
    SD Regular willie_gunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    Posts
    6,995
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)

    Now the roe with the new camera body, the lens AND the teleconverter

    Things are finally coming together!

    Having assembled the new camera body, the 300mm lens and the 1.4 teleconverter I arrived at the normal field this morning at around 06:30.

    I'd seen two of the does out in another field but decided to chance it and see if anything came into the cover crop. Sure enough presently there was movement, but to start with it was just a hare:



    10 minutes or so later, though, a roe doe appeared at field edge and then slowly made its way into the cover crop:





    Unfortunately it headed away from me, eventually bedding down on the far side of the field, but not that far from the path I'd be taking back. Having waited for 15 minutes it seemed like the doe was enjoying the morning sunshine, so I decided to walk back up the path and chance my arm that she'd stay bedded down.

    Sure enough that's what happened, and she watched me carefully as I made my way with the four dogs back along the track:



    Eventually, however, the net effect of me, plus the camera, plus the four dogs was too much, and she got up and ran 30 yards or so. Clearly these photos are cropped - she wasn't really that close!





    Brief activity over, she stood her ground and watched as the dogs and I neared the corner of the field, eventually sticking out her tongue and walking nonchalantly away.



    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Things are finally coming together!

    Having assembled the new camera body, the 300mm lens and the 1.4 teleconverter I arrived at the normal field this morning at around 06:30.

    I'd seen two of the does out in another field but decided to chance it and see if anything came into the cover crop. Sure enough presently there was movement, but to start with it was just a hare:



    10 minutes or so later, though, a roe doe appeared at field edge and then slowly made its way into the cover crop:





    Unfortunately it headed away from me, eventually bedding down on the far side of the field, but not that far from the path I'd be taking back. Having waited for 15 minutes it seemed like the doe was enjoying the morning sunshine, so I decided to walk back up the path and chance my arm that she'd stay bedded down.

    Sure enough that's what happened, and she watched me carefully as I made my way with the four dogs back along the track:



    Eventually, however, the net effect of me, plus the camera, plus the four dogs was too much, and she got up and ran 30 yards or so. Clearly these photos are cropped - she wasn't really that close!





    Brief activity over, she stood her ground and watched as the dogs and I neared the corner of the field, eventually sticking out her tongue and walking nonchalantly away.



    Great pics Willie keep them coming
    Keep on going to the end you never no what's round the corner

  3. #3
    Excellent work Dom ... still waiting for that all important better light.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

  4. #4
    Are you using a Full or Cropped Frame camera?
    If you are using Full Frame, you will be getting a zoom of 420mm, but if your using a Cropped frame camera, then you will be getting equivalent zoom of (Nikon 630mm / Canon 672mm).

  5. #5
    SD Regular willie_gunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    Posts
    6,995
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coddy View Post
    Are you using a Full or Cropped Frame camera?
    If you are using Full Frame, you will be getting a zoom of 420mm, but if your using a Cropped frame camera, then you will be getting equivalent zoom of (Nikon 630mm / Canon 672mm).
    Full frame - a Nikon D750.

    I have a bigger lens and another teleconverter that will give me 800mm of reach, but that really needs the light to improve considerably.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

  6. #6
    400mm with 2x convertor?
    I used to have a 400mm L Series Canon lens. After a day with that, carrying a rifle with a large scope is a doddle.

  7. #7
    SD Regular willie_gunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    Posts
    6,995
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coddy View Post
    400mm with 2x convertor?
    I used to have a 400mm L Series Canon lens. After a day with that, carrying a rifle with a large scope is a doddle.
    500mm with a 1.6x

    I use it instead of visiting the gym
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

  8. #8
    Your pics are getting better and better Dom!! Always a delight to see, especially this morning with the added reach
    Tim

  9. #9
    SD Regular willie_gunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    Posts
    6,995
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by tjm160 View Post
    Your pics are getting better and better Dom!! Always a delight to see, especially this morning with the added reach
    Thank you.

    They are slowly improving, but having looked at the winners of this year's Mammal Society Photographer of the Year that were announced yesterday there's still a ways to go!

    MPOY 2016: Winners and exhibition | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

  10. #10
    Dom let me know when your next heading to gods country and I will get you out.Had a chap from STV out videoing we saw 60 roe in 1hour 30 mins.,And he got 33 mins of video .You could get some real cracking pics mate.,

Similar Threads

  1. Wanted M42 thread 105mm or 135mm camera lens
    By stratts in forum Optics
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 17-03-2016, 18:14
  2. go pro /body camera
    By Scots_stalker in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-03-2015, 10:56
  3. Body Weight of roe.
    By Cadex in forum Diseases, Welfare and Biology
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 21-03-2014, 22:02
  4. Roe Body Condition
    By Amberdog in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 20-02-2010, 00:07
  5. choice of camera and lens?
    By buckup in forum Photos
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 20-04-2008, 19:16

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •