Thread: Accuracy Problems

Accuracy Problems

Im going to buy a Weihrauch .222 as I love the rifles and the caliber. Trouble is its being sold as he cant get it to shoot so its a bit of a project for me.
    Its been bedded previously and thats about all I know.
    Now what would your course of action be? Im thinking starting off by removing the bedding and ensure the barrel is free and then rebed.
    Give the rifle a good clean but if it still doesnt shoot, then what? Go for a recrown?
    Advice sought chaps
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

Shoot it yourself first. Has it been shot with different types of ammo for instance. Before doing drastic changes start on the simples.

Optics, rings & mounts. Check condition of barrel. etc etc lots of " non expensive possibles "

Triple twos normally accurate as accurate can be.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    Shoot it yourself first. Has it been shot with different types of ammo for instance. Before doing drastic changes start on the simples.

Optics, rings & mounts. Check condition of barrel. etc etc lots of " non expensive possibles "

Triple twos normally accurate as accurate can be.

Good luck
    Cheers matey

Im surprised that a 222 doesnt shoot too so its going to be fun!
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

Without knowing the history its a case of trying such things as a scope that is proved to be ok, ammo, stock screws, scope mounts etc before thinking of the stuff that needs a bit more work, effort and expense. A free floating barrel is easy to check for too. as you mention a good clean too

My first call would be to check the scope mounts after reading a thread on the forum recently then clean and check everything over especially the crown.

Do the easy stuff first.
    Can he shoot straight? Shoot it yourself with a really good rest Norma factory ammo and still conditions.
    Is the scope knackered, or badly set up? Try a scope you know is good.
    Rings and bases? Are they tight?
    Is the action 'sprung'? (do the screws pull down perfectly evenly and firmly or does one screw keep tightening when the other is nipped up?)
    Bedding, is it done properly?
    Crown, is it even or badly out of alignment?

By the way I like your avatar, she looks so like my Spanish sister in law it is uncanny.

I should try and get as much info from the previous owner,did he get it bedded because he was having issues? If so bedding might be ok. Did he get it screwcut and who did it? But as has been said previously,do the no cost stuff first. Must say,my triple was fussier,ammo wise,than I'd been led to believe. Good luck.

Scope and mounts will be my first call, check that stock is properly fastened to the action.

Check the head space, go no-go,
    If you are getting split groups that will indicate a shot out barrel.

make sure there is no obvious bends in the barrel or scars in the inside of the barrel.

if you have the chance do a accuracy test, fire 20 rnds at the same point of aim, find the centre of your 20 rnd group the draw a 50 mm From the centre. This will give you a idea of the accuracy of your barrel.

if rounds are out of the 50mm circle then that will be a early a indication of the barrel starting to let you down

Good luck