Cumbria Shootings

now that is not good........:eek:
picture, car details ...... that's not normal for police.
They must be seriously worried about him carrying out further carnage:scared:

unfortunately this will be another string on the bow of those whom wish to tighten gun laws within the uk..
will be interesting to see if it was/is a legal or illegal firearm

Sounds like he is using a handgun ............................................................ no cannot be Blair banned them years ago :rolleyes:.

Sounds like he is using a handgun ............................................................ no cannot be Blair banned them years ago :rolleyes:.

What is your source for this? All the reports I've read say shotgun?

Last edited:
Was thinking the same myself , they have a pic up quick and it does not look like a police mug shot , perhaps one of a fac or cert . hope not or its goign to get difficult again.

The argument in the us woudl be that if more pople had wepons especialy pistols for self defence or on ccw in the uk someone would have taken them out very quickly . when i was in the us recently we were talking about laws over there compared to the uk and the two unfortunate instances we have had here came up and thats what their argment was,

The guy i was staying with asked me to select a few poistol's to take to the range from a box . the first one i picked up i instinctivly checked to see if it was clear , and found a loaded mag and one in the chamber , his responce what do you expect its the one i carry all the time its no good empty !

No source but no one seems to ahve seen the gun when he ran to the car so it seems likely it's small. he alos fired several shots. Could be a Semi Auto shotgun or quick on the reload? we wills ee what they say.

If it turns out to be a handgun and that doesn't suit the current agendaIi am sure we can have faith in the police etc to doctor the reports :stir: and no I don't trust them as far as I can throw the house :mad:.

Was thinking the same myself , they have a pic up quick and it does not look like a police mug shot , perhaps one of a fac or cert .

That is what also occurred to me. It does look rather like a passport sized photo. Not good.

Last edited:
eye witness says shotgun... holy cow
two bodies found. seascale..
on foot in boot area... get in houses police say...

holy shxt guys at least ten may be dead

latest,

still on foot police unable to locate...
3 shooting locations two taxi drivers dead.
he also a taxi driver.

BODY LOCATED NOT FAR FROM CAR POLICE NOT CONFIRMING IT TO BE MR BIRD YET

LETS HOPE IT IS

Last edited:
Just seen news in rest room sounds awfull and appears to be a shotgun.

This could have dreadful repucussions if it is a legally held firearm.

D

Looks like you guys got your wish and he has caped him self. Personaly I think if he was caught and braught to justice it would be a better thing and people wouldn't be so keen to punish every one else for his actions. complete head case It will be interesting to see how it plays out FAC shotgun cert holder or ilegaly held weapons????

Dave

eye witness says shotgun... holy cow
two bodies found. seascale..
on foot in boot area... get in houses police say...

holy shxt guys at least ten may be dead

latest,

still on foot police unable to locate...
3 shooting locations two taxi drivers dead.
he also a taxi driver.

BODY LOCATED NOT FAR FROM CAR POLICE NOT CONFIRMING IT TO BE MR BIRD YET

LETS HOPE IT IS

Latest from the Beeb indicates that he shot a farmer in a field outside the town, then went into town and started blasting at people in the street, before driving off, crashing the car, hot-footing it to a wood and then topping himself...
(edit - no, he shot the poeple in the town first - one guy in the street, a cyclist, and a bloke driving a RR - then seems to have killed the farmer while escaping east of the town)

Not sure if there would have been any police close enough to have been able to put a swift end to this even if they were permitted to be armed. Despite the fact that this went on over what seems to be a couple of hours, we just don't have boots on the streets any more - and I'm not sure we should have armed police in what should be quiet rural areas like this - city streets yes, but rural cumbria? You can't legislate, or police, for this kind of action...

Pippa

Last edited:
sky reports that four dead.
local paper, the star, says upto ten, sky says paper reputable but not confirmed yet.

here we go again...........................................

as Pippa says, farmer may also be shot, may be where gun originated from (speculation on my behalf)

Last edited:
Looks like you guys got your wish and he has caped him self. Personaly I think if he was caught and braught to justice it would be a better thing and people wouldn't be so keen to punish every one else for his actions.

You have a point, but the mentality of these people is always that of cowardice. They are never going to face the consequences of their actions, most likely know they cannot ever explain why they have done what they have and always choose the easy way out.

The family and friends of the victims would want to know why, but I'd be willing to bet there is no rational reason to give. Not one that would help them anyway.

There are going to be two sets of victims here... the people he shot, and their families and, to a much lesser extent obviously, us, the legal shooters who would never dream of doing such a thing. :(

Alex

Last edited:
Dear all,

The events unfolding in Cumbria are tragic and shocking and as representatives of Britain’s lawful gun owners BASC would like to make clear its deeply felt sorrow at these events which will have long-lasting repercussions within the affected families and communities.

This is still a live police operation. The police must be given time to fully investigate the circumstances which have led up to today and we will be in touch with them and other relevant agencies to offer any help and assistance we can.

Britain’s firearms licensing system is amongst the toughest in the world and includes numerous safety and medical checks and balances. The UK has a well-worked approach to draw all possible lessons from any such event and we will co-operate fully where our expertise is appropriate.

Importantly, we must all work to ensure that this one event does not reflect on shooters.

The Head of Firearms at BASC is already in London as I type, other members of staff are being called back from holiday (its half term up here) to take other media interviews, political teams are on the case, and so on - a full and co-ordinated response as you would, i hope, expect.

We are also doing all we can to alert and keep in touch with the other organisations.

David

Back