Thread: Miroku skeet 26"

Miroku skeet 26"

Not really a stalking topic. Maybe someone on here with gunsmithing experience.
    Would a Miroku skeet gun be suitable to shoot also the slightly heavier steel shot loads. ( 32 gram / n4 ) ? As we have to use steel shot for all our shooting, this would be usefull. Clay guns mostly are build much stronger than game guns. I do some game shooting and a bit of skeet/sporting as a practice. For game I have always favoured open chokes. Using skeet and a thight IC in my Browning B25 game gun at the present. In this gun I use 28 gr n5 or 4 shot.
    The Miroku is realy nice, hardly used, nice engraving and at a very good price. I think this gun would be much more resistant compared to my B25 for recreational clay shooting.
    The heavier loads would be useful on game where some extra range would be needed.

I'd have thought it would say steel proof etc stamped on the barrel by the receiver or something etc

Is it not the barrels that are slightly different for steel shot? Never having shot any steel I really don't know but that would seem to be logical.

Steel shot is used in almost all game guns here. All the guns from 10 years and older are not steel proofed. B325 , B425 will be on the market without the steel proofing. Would Browning have changed their guns just because a few countries made steel shot obligatory ? Most shooters here use low pressure steel cartridges in all the older guns. Guns they already had for 20/30 and more years. I presume that a clay gun is made to take much more abuse. The advatage is open chokes, wich is necessary for steel shot.
    Fleur de Lys proofing is offcourse the best, but sometimes a nice second hand gun pops up.
    Last edited by Hales Smut; 02-04-2016 at 11:38.

The older Browning Superposed cannot shoot steel shot for a lot, because the steel is softer than the new barrels; that is what Browning told me long ago. I don't know about your Miroku, which is the same as the Browning Citori, but I suspect that if it has fixed chokes, you should not. The Browning tech told me that the plastic protected the barrels, but the chokes took the abuse, which makes sense, because you have to shoot a choke more open, as steel shot shoots tighter. Also, you can pick up the wad from steel shot and see where it has cut through the plastic as it was forced through the choke.

SD Regular
    In UK you'd struggle to even give away a 26" barrel O/U so I hope that gun is cheap! I'd contact Browning direct about its suitability. They'll give an honest answer as they handled Miroku back when your gun was imported.

Personally unless it is dirt, dirt, cheap....under 300€....I'd pass. Unless fashions change 26" barrel O/U guns are a dead duck. Skeet is moribund in UK everyone is into English Sporting.

I like Skeet as it enables me to compete against myself on a fixed unvaried testing benchmark. But even those that shoot it nowadays use 28" barrel guns.

You'll be ok with standard velocity steel not high velocity but the gun will wear out faster than shooting standard lead loads. There are better options out there but if the gun fit you like it and shoot it well it'll be ok.

We all shoot steel shot out of all the guns. Most will be standard velocity cartridges. People shooting lost of pigeons tend to use semi auto guns, as they are more robust and transmit less recoil.
    The Miroku skeet should have cylinder chokes in both barrels or at most 1/10mm wich is very little. Thats the reason I think about it. The 26" skeet is not over heavy and will be useable to shoot over my spanils, do some average bird days and allow me some practice on the skeet ground. I have always favoured open chokes and for steel it's a must. The gun should be alot more resistant, compared to my B25 from the seventies. This gun is a joy to shoot and carry but the barrels are really lightweight.
    The Miroku is low in price, so if it gives up after 5 or 10 years, no harm done.