Octavia estate 4x4

the scudd

hi,i,m thinking of buying an 05 octavia 4x4, just wondered are there any things i should look out for or are there any common faults.
it has 120k miles with a full service history, oh and its has the 1.9 tdi engine.
thanks

o

I'm on my fourth one, but I've not kept them that long. Only issue I've had was created by me reversing in long grass and the cable for the sensor on the exhaust system getting snagged. Clearance isn't great on forest tracks, but if you take your time you can get to most places.

I've previously had Golfs, so clearly this kind of car works for me.

Have fun.

JCS

I'm on my fourth one, but I've not kept them that long. Only issue I've had was created by me reversing in long grass and the cable for the sensor on the exhaust system getting snagged. Clearance isn't great on forest tracks, but if you take your time you can get to most places.

I've previously had Golfs, so clearly this kind of car works for me.

Have fun.
thanks for the reply, do you find the 4 wheel drive handy to have also what are they like on fuel

thanks for the reply, do you find the 4 wheel drive handy to have also what are they like on fuel

Long term mpg is just under 48 today. 4 wheel drive does it's own thing. A light flashes when it's engaged. It's hard to assess the benefits, but it's probably must useful when braking.

Regards JCS

HI, I have had mine for the past four years and love it.

Good MPG ( around 50ish on a run ) and ok on the farm unless a deeply rutted track. OK on wet grass, and on the mud, with the MS tyres.

It has a few inches higher clearance than the standard car though.

You will enjoy it, I'm sure.

Alan

Nothing wrong with the Skoda 4x4, and very nearly bought about 4 years ago having previously done 180k on the two wheel drive. But much less than the price of a new one I got an Audi A4 allroad with 20k on the clock. It is superb car and now that there is a new generation out prices for five / six year old ones have dropped right off. Also have a look around for the old A6 allroad. £5,000 gets you a very clean one. The Passat Alltrack is also really nice and has more boot space than the Audi A4. Don't discount the Subaru Forester as they have real off road ability given the correct tyres.

So, I don't have one but a close friend does, and he's done 290,000 in it!
He has had it serviced when needed, new tyres etc and its still going strong.

I know of another that's done 90,000 and its a pig, always going wrong!

We use them as fast response vehicles as do many ambulance services. I love the Scout and would have one tomorrow, it is on my next car list.

Based on the b5/6/7 platform like the Passat and Audi a4

Good cars, solid build quality, I have driven the 1.8t petrol and the 2.0l diesel and had four b5 platform cars in other brands covering 1.8t, 1.9tdi, 2.7t, 2.5tdi
i do my own repairs so costs are not always the same issues

haldex four wheel drive system is not as good off-road as the audi torsen system but works out better mpg on normal roads

the suspension is single wishbone rather than the Four strut arrangement in the a4
it is a simple system, not as advanced but cheaper to repair and not prone to eating ball joints like the Audi.

The 1.9 wouldn't be my engine choice personally
its the older model engine and relatively low on power for the displacement.
They did a 130ps version for a year which is the only exception.
unless towing and looking for the extra diesel torque I don't see the advantage over petrol especially given current prices
What gearbox is in it?

the diesel pumps are hideously expensive to replace

The 2.0l engine is much nicer and more advanced, better economy, better range of power

see if you can find someone with a copy of VAGCom and get a diagnostic scan done.
it will show up any fault codes and confirm the health of the engine.

I'm pretty sure the Octavia is built on the Gold Platform and the Suberb on the A4 platform.

Have had a couple of Octavia in the past (not 4x4's) and were good cars. Currently looking at an Octavia as a replacement company car, with the option of the "rough road" pack, which provides slightly raise clearance and add underbody protection.

bewsher it has the 6 speed box, i think it has the 105 bhp i dont do any towing so i think the 105 would be grand for my needs.
thanks again

I'm pretty sure the Octavia is built on the Gold Platform and the Suberb on the A4 platform.

Have had a couple of Octavia in the past (not 4x4's) and were good cars. Currently looking at an Octavia as a replacement company car, with the option of the "rough road" pack, which provides slightly raise clearance and add underbody protection.

indeed, my mistake there, got them mixed up
which makes the haldex and single wishbone setup more obvious

also just had a look at some threads on the 2.0l in the skoda

they are NOT the same as the 2.0l 140 and 170 bhp in the rest of the VAG range but a weaker 8v head which appears to have history of porosity and cracking issues

1.9 tdi predates the 2.0, but dont let that put you off - maybe older enginering but pretty bomb proof motor and didn't suffer from the duel mass flywheel issues that plagued the early 2 litre diesels

I have a 2011 Skoda Scout, 71K miles done so far. Positives - it has gone anywhere I've asked it to, taken on roads with snow on them around the Scottish ski centres with ease (when other cars have been stuck), comfortable car to drive. Negatives - four wheel springs so far, a replaced EGR (which was a bad job because the entire engine and diff had to come out to gain access) and a problem with the DPF. I'd never even heard of those acronyms before they went wrong. I gather that all three of these problems are common in VW-type cars. For the latter two, thrashing the car for 20 minutes at a steady 2500-3000 revs to burn off particulates appears to be the recommended course of action.
Would I have another? I probably would. I've enjoyed this car, all in all.

I work for Skoda so if you have any questions I can TRY and answer them. Brilliant cars most of my family and lots of friends have them, the ex is waiting for her new Octavia Scout now. Must be paying her too much maintenance!

We had a 57 plate Scout from new. Very close spec to an A4 Allroad, but 50% of the price. Did several ski trips to the Alps and bad winters in the UK before we got rid and never had an ounce of trouble. Think it was 60K miles and 3.5 years ownership on that one. Liked the higher ground clearance over the standard 4x4 estate.

The ONLY reason it went was that it was the wife's car and she wanted an auto box, but VAG wouldn't let Skoda sell them with the 170bhp diesel, an auto box and 4WD....would have killed Audi sales for all but the badge snobs :)

Regards

Mark

I've been running a Scout now for 5 years and 45K. miles up in the Highlands. Very reassuring in winter esp. with the winter tyres on steel rims from November to April.
With the DSG gearbox its a relaxing drive. Stacks of room inside.

We had a 57 plate Scout from new. Very close spec to an A4 Allroad, but 50% of the price. Did several ski trips to the Alps and bad winters in the UK before we got rid and never had an ounce of trouble. Think it was 60K miles and 3.5 years ownership on that one. Liked the higher ground clearance over the standard 4x4 estate.

The ONLY reason it went was that it was the wife's car and she wanted an auto box, but VAG wouldn't let Skoda sell them with the 170bhp diesel, an auto box and 4WD....would have killed Audi sales for all but the badge snobs :)

Regards

Mark

The Scout now comes with the auto DSG gear box and a 2.0 TDI 184 bhp engine.

Back