Thread: An Aussie hunting England.

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available

An Aussie hunting England.

I have hunted Ireland previously without any problems re licencing and after seeing a lot of the discussions relating to the legalities of hunting deer in England can someone advise as to what a bloke like myself needs to do to satisfy authorities.
    Obviously sitting for training exams or whatever you have to do is out of the question.

I suppose I am asking can I get off a plane from Aussie and go hunting with my own firearms licence?
    "you nae be needing these no more"
    I said as I slipped the knife through the cord

সাম্বার হরিণ

You would need to apply for a visitor permit in the county you were planning to go shooting in or if going shooting with a guide they can apply for the paperwork for you. You could email the police for more details
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory." LLAP Leonard Nimoy 1931 - 2015

I believe you will need to get a guide (holder of shooting rights) to apply for a temporary firearms licence on your behalf. This allows the police to know where it is you intend to be shooting and with who. So you can not simply just turn up with a firearm and say you will find some hunting while your out and about.
    You got any idea of what it is you would like to hunt?

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available
    Quote Originally Posted by woodmaster View Post
    I believe you will need to get a guide (holder of shooting rights) to apply for a temporary firearms licence on your behalf. This allows the police to know where it is you intend to be shooting and with who. So you can not simply just turn up with a firearm and say you will find some hunting while your out and about.
    You got any idea of what it is you would like to hunt?

I haven't 'hunted roe,I have only taken some handy pics of them in Sweden,thus a roebuck would be a treat.
    I haven't hunted Muntjac and would love to take a stag as they are so bloody different.
    I have a lovely free range red stag but always entertained the idea of a red stag taken in traditional stalking style in Scotland.
    I think the wild beauty of Scotland appeals to me so much as
    maybe its because my Grandmother is a MacDonald! I`m half a haggis!
    Irish mate ( fellow SD member) I believe knows someone in Scotland though I`m not sure of any details etc,in fact I haven't even discussed it with him.
    I have Sika hunting invites from him but don't even know if I can do it this year at all as I have been a bit physically crook.
    Thanks to those that replied here and PM`s.

One thing we are grateful for under our rules is if you get your international firearms permit for Victoria you can get off the plane and step out into the bush solo.

I had a mate from New Mexico come out quite a few years ago and said to him on the phone " you`ll need a copy of your gun licence"

His reply? WHAT FUGGEN GUN LICENCE"

I laughed out loud then had to get onto Vic Pol and explain that they in NM didnt have them.

They "well we need his local Sheriff to vouch for him via letter"

So I passed that on to the mate and as he was in Iraq at the time driving AvGas tankers out of Baghdad the big boss of the Yank forces,Colonel or General (?) wrote a letter.

VicPol said " that'll do"
    "you nae be needing these no more"
    I said as I slipped the knife through the cord

সাম্বার হরিণ

Quote Originally Posted by johngryphon View Post
    I haven't 'hunted roe,I have only taken some handy pics of them in Sweden,thus a roebuck would be a treat.
    I haven't hunted Muntjac and would love to take a stag as they are so bloody different.
    I have a lovely free range red stag but always entertained the idea of a red stag taken in traditional stalking style in Scotland.
    I think the wild beauty of Scotland appeals to me so much as
    maybe its because my Grandmother is a MacDonald! I`m half a haggis!
    Irish mate ( fellow SD member) I believe knows someone in Scotland though I`m not sure of any details etc,in fact I haven't even discussed it with him.
    I have Sika hunting invites from him but don't even know if I can do it this year at all as I have been a bit physically crook.
    Thanks to those that replied here and PM`s.

One thing we are grateful for under our rules is if you get your international firearms permit for Victoria you can get off the plane and step out into the bush solo.

I had a mate from New Mexico come out quite a few years ago and said to him on the phone " you`ll need a copy of your gun licence"

His reply? WHAT FUGGEN GUN LICENCE"

I laughed out loud then had to get onto Vic Pol and explain that they in NM didnt have them.

They "well we need his local Sheriff to vouch for him via letter"

So I passed that on to the mate and as he was in Iraq at the time driving AvGas tankers out of Baghdad the big boss of the Yank forces,Colonel or General (?) wrote a letter.

VicPol said " that'll do"
    That's a nice little bucket list right there. Muntjac are a great little deer to hunt on foot in the cover of a nice wood. The males are called bucks (like a roe) and they eat very well.
    Your hill stag is something on my list also, shot way up high and bought back on the pony. A memory of a life time there.
    I'm sure there's some great stalking available to you off people on here, who will hopefully drop you a line.
    If I had my own ground I'd invite you out for that stag and see if we both could get one.
    Good luck.
    I'll remember to bring my licence next time I'm over and see if I can't catch up with a fallow or a roo.

Some good hunting to be had. Check your seasons and see if you can manage a day on drinen birds too.

John you mentioned hunting exams, well the good news for you is that no hunting exams are required to hunt (stalk or shoot) in the U.K. The DSC1 and 2 qualifications and training are voluntary and not a legal necessity.

What you will need though is a sponsor, someone who will support your application for a visitors permit. You could do far worse than to speak to Sikamalc who is one of the owners of this site and a very experienced guide who has leases in various parts of the country including in the highlands of Scotland. Malc knows the score as he regularly entertains clients from overseas.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by johngryphon View Post
    I have hunted Ireland previously without any problems re licencing and after seeing a lot of the discussions relating to the legalities of hunting deer in England can someone advise as to what a bloke like myself needs to do to satisfy authorities.
    Obviously sitting for training exams or whatever you have to do is out of the question.

I suppose I am asking can I get off a plane from Aussie and go hunting with my own firearms licence?
    John

Possibly the best option is not to bring a firearm then you can step of the plane and stalk under the estate rifle principle (no exams/ permits or licenses required) - most UK guides can supply a suitable deer legal firearm for you to use. I can recommend John Robson, well known on here as having access to roe, red and muntjac as well as the other species.
    TonyC