Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow, non fragmenting bullet?

Slow, non fragmenting bullet?

Before my head explodes from reading bamboozling stuff on the interweb I would appreciate a bit of advice please. I collected my new moderator yesterday (CMM4 aluminium) for my .243 tikka t3 with a 1:10 twist.

Jackson Rifles have advised me that my usual bullets 100g federal may be unsuitable and cause poor grouping and that winchester bullets in a similar size would do likewise and as a result I am looking to switch to a smaller 80g bullet which I have been advised will stabilise better on exit.

The reason for this weight being I am only shooting roe and fox with the rifle and I have a 6.5x55 on my ticket for anything bigger that I can buy at a later date.

I don't reload (unless someone wants to sell me a kit) so am looking for factory loads. Whilst looking at manufacturers on the web and bullet types the array of types has got me in a serious muddle.

Deer shot will be processed and sold on so minimal meat damage is essential. What I need therefore is a factory bullet between 80 and 90g in weight, with a reasonably slow speed that will not fragment on impact.

I don't shoot at extreme distances as I much prefer stalking in as close as possible to deer or calling foxes in so I will not be shooting over 250 yards as I don't feel the need to.

Does this bullet exist? I dont mind paying a bit more for it if it does and I believe the likes of Norma and RWS are better?

If you are still awake, cheers for looking

David

slow, non fragmenting 80-90 grain in 243 doesn't really match.
    Maybe federal Fusion 95gr could be tough enough and have high retained weight.
    In a 308 I had min 86% and max 94% with this type.
    http://www.fusionammo.com/ballistics/rifle.aspx?id=641

Other than that maybe a nosler partition or a monometall bullet.
    Or just use a FMJ and a good dog to find the beast.

edi

Hi

Federal .243 with Barnes 85g TSX should do the trick without meat damage if you can get them. TSX usually very accurate too

S

Quote Originally Posted by david1976 View Post
    Before my head explodes from reading bamboozling stuff on the interweb I would appreciate a bit of advice please. I collected my new moderator yesterday (CMM4 aluminium) for my .243 tikka t3 with a 1:10 twist.

Jackson Rifles have advised me that my usual bullets 100g federal may be unsuitable and cause poor grouping and that winchester bullets in a similar size would do likewise and as a result I am looking to switch to a smaller 80g bullet which I have been advised will stabilise better on exit.

The reason for this weight being I am only shooting roe and fox with the rifle and I have a 6.5x55 on my ticket for anything bigger that I can buy at a later date.

I don't reload (unless someone wants to sell me a kit) so am looking for factory loads. Whilst looking at manufacturers on the web and bullet types the array of types has got me in a serious muddle.

Deer shot will be processed and sold on so minimal meat damage is essential. What I need therefore is a factory bullet between 80 and 90g in weight, with a reasonably slow speed that will not fragment on impact.

I don't shoot at extreme distances as I much prefer stalking in as close as possible to deer or calling foxes in so I will not be shooting over 250 yards as I don't feel the need to.

Does this bullet exist? I dont mind paying a bit more for it if it does and I believe the likes of Norma and RWS are better?

If you are still awake, cheers for looking

David
    Start saving your brass and reload your own. This kit

costs $23 US and works like a charm. Add a $10 trimmer outfit from the same company and you are in business. I have loaded some extremely accurate ammunition with this kit. (See group attached. 5 shots, 100M, .222 Winchester: No fluke! They all shoot like that!) ~Muir

Let me get this clear David.

You have a 243 which shoots Federal 100gr bullets. Jackson rifles have added a mod to the rifle. They now tell you that they think it won't shoot the old ammo?

Why?

Have you have the barrel substantially shortened? Has the rifle been altered in any other way?

Bullet stability is a product of both twist and velocity. If neither of these things have changed, why would the old ammo not suit?

I would test it carefully before I got excited.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    Let me get this clear David.

You have a 243 which shoots Federal 100gr bullets. Jackson rifles have added a mod to the rifle. They now tell you that they think it won't shoot the old ammo?

Why?

Have you have the barrel substantially shortened? Has the rifle been altered in any other way?

Bullet stability is a product of both twist and velocity. If neither of these things have changed, why would the old ammo not suit?

I would test it carefully before I got excited.
    My thoughts exactly. JC

Smell that?

what is it?

Ahhh I know it's Bulls ***** .

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Smell that?

Ahhh I know it's Bulls ***** .
    Toooooo fecking right it is, did Peter only have 80gn ammo in stock by any chance.

I did not deal with Jacksons face to face as they deal trade. I was advised on the telephone that the winchester and federal bullets in 100g are a longer bullet as they are made for the american market. For the size of moderator I purchased i think it does up to 6.5mm they advised to use smaller than 100g bullets as there is a possibility of the bullet touching a baffle.

Its new territory to me so I am only going with what the dealer has told me. I previously shot my roe with 55g bullets in .22-250 so am not worried about changing from the 100g to 80g as I know they will still do a job on roe.

Quote Originally Posted by david1976 View Post
    I did not deal with Jacksons face to face as they deal trade. I was advised on the telephone that the winchester and federal bullets in 100g are a longer bullet as they are made for the american market. For the size of moderator I purchased i think it does up to 6.5mm they advised to use smaller than 100g bullets as there is a possibility of the bullet touching a baffle.

Its new territory to me so I am only going with what the dealer has told me. I previously shot my roe with 55g bullets in .22-250 so am not worried about changing from the 100g to 80g as I know they will still do a job on roe.
    David, You didn't speak to this character on April the first by any chance did you?? Is he suggesting that 100grn bullets are 'fatter' than 80grn ones or that they tumble end over end within four inches of leaving the muzzle. You have to tell us where you heard this because its about the best example of mis-information that I have ever read on the interweb! Your informant deserves some kind of award!
    JC

Edit: just re-read my post, hope it didn't come across as if I was calling you a numpty David! If it did then I apologise!
    Last edited by JC275; 03-06-2010 at 11:20.