Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scope recommendation

Scope recommendation

Hi guys, I am soon to be picking up an Anshutz 1417 in 22LR with a 14 inch barrel. I am looking for some scope recommendations for it please, it will be used for a mixture of plinking and rabbit shooting. I was initially looking for something like a dedicated Rimfire scope such as the Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 3-9 x40 BDC, also I will be needing a mod and was thinking of something like a Sak

I would welcome your thoughts or any recommendations.

many thanks
    Last edited by paultap; 03-04-2016 at 18:33.

Swarovski or S&B in 6x42 and a Sak mod,sorted

Hi Paultap

good choice of rifle I have the thumbhole and its very nice , the sak mod will be fine , ive had a few and they are great vfm, at the mo I have an aetec on only because its more aesthically pleasing to my eye( how sad does that sound,lol) as its a bit longer and slimmer than the sak but performance wise no difference , ive had the prostaffs, both 3-9x50 and 4-12x40 with the bdc rets and they are superb,have a look at the Nikon ballistic ret programme for zeros and in relation to the extensions. I have a major liking for Nikons and they suits my eyes , however I currently have a nikon monarch 6.5-20x44 on my 1417, I like having the option of cranking upthe zoom and the glass is even better than the prostaff but I would happily use the prostaff all day,
    atb
    craig

I HAD A HAWKE SPORT IR HD ON MINE PAUL CLEAR AND CRISP OK ON LAMP AS WELL HEADSHOTS ALL DAY MATE, + sak
    DONT START

SD Regular
    I have a 1" 6 x 42 Swarovski on the classifieds. And other Forum Members similar 'scopes. Neither mine, not theirs, is more than 300 - 350. That's a lot of 'scope for relatively little money.

Quote Originally Posted by 2130martin View Post
    Swarovski or S&B in 6x42 and a Sak mod,sorted
    Way too much scope and for .22 rim. Go for Bushnell or Nikon. I have an Edgar bros. scope on mine for 5 years never let me down come hail or shine.
    Tusker.

All my Rimfires are fitted with Nikon Prostaffs with BDC rets and i find they work really well, clarity is excellent and BDC rets are easy to use i dont think you can wrong with them to be honest, Mods i use are either Parker Hale or SAK.

i had a bushnell legend HD 4.5-14x44 on a .17hmr, optics were superb, up there with my leupold vx-111s. They do a 3-9x50 which should be superb on a .22 given range and rabbiting, as it is parralex side focus gives you option of night vision add on latr on if you want. Regret selling my scope to fund a further leupold. Vortex also have a great name and they do a few some good scopes with a lifetime unconditional guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by Robb View Post
    All my Rimfires are fitted with Nikon Prostaffs with BDC rets and i find they work really well, clarity is excellent and BDC rets are easy to use i dont think you can wrong with them to be honest, Mods i use are either Parker Hale or SAK.
    Hi and thanks for the reply. Are the Nikon prostaff scopes you are using the specific Rimfire model or any model using the BDC reticle? looking at the reviews of the prostaff scopes in the States they are usually pretty good, though predictably these scopes cost about half as much there new as what they are retailed for in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by paultap View Post
    Hi and thanks for the reply. Are the Nikon prostaff scopes you are using the specific Rimfire model or any model using the BDC reticle? looking at the reviews of the prostaff scopes in the States they are usually pretty good, though predictably these scopes cost about half as much there new as what they are retailed for in the UK.
    No they are not the Rimfire specific model they are just the standard Prostaff models with the BDC Ret these are even easier to use now with Nikon Ballistic Program i have never used it to be honest i just learn what the drops are for my rifle regarding the scope extensions and thats it job done, one thing about these scopes is the parallax is set to 100 yards where the EFR Rimfire model has AO if you have a look through one i dont think you will be disappointed they hang on well at last light as well especially the 3-9x50, dont get me wrong they are not a Swarovski or Schmidt but for a Rimfire i think they are excellent.