Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sako 85 synthetic black

sako 85 synthetic black

bought the above rifle brand new September 2014 very happy with it but I've noticed that the black rubber type Finnish on the stock is staring to come off i know i haven't knocked it im so careful with my kit. these guns carry a 2 year warranty so has any body else found this happening on there sako 85 stocks.

I have my 85 S/S quite a few years now 2010/11 I love it it gets worked pretty hard when I am out I do try to treat it carefully but for me its only a tool ( and a dammed good one at that ) for what I really enjoy the hunt the rubber coating has came off all along the underside of the stock and the cheekpiece, it seems destined not to last if it gets any tough treatment the grips have also lost most of the little circle like mouldings these things however it do not effect the performance of the rifle whatsoever I think if this worries you are in for a disappointment regards long term use unless you wrap it up in cotton wool lol I think you could probably remove all the coating to leave the original plastic stock which looks pretty good under the coating maybe some day to make the stock more uniform looking I will do this but for now I just shoot it ............just my tuppence worth

You Should have had a synthetic stocked tikka, Steve

I bought a new synthetic stainless 85 a couple of years ago but mine has had hardly any use so it still looks like new. I have heard that insect repellant can cause problems with the rubber coating, though as yours is still within the warranty period I would contact GMk and ask them for a replacement stock.

yes im thinking along those lines. t
    Quote Originally Posted by paultap View Post
    I bought a new synthetic stainless 85 a couple of years ago but mine has had hardly any use so it still looks like new. I have heard that insect repellant can cause problems with the rubber coating, though as yours is still within the warranty period I would contact GMk and ask them for a replacement stock.

Regular Poster
    my brother in law has had 2x replacement stocks under warranty on his 85 finnlight for the same reason

well its back to the gun shop to day will post the out come asap.

well GMK have agreed to replace the stock but with a six week wait. i have my rifle back till the new stock arrives.

We refuse to apply the soft touch coatings on our stocks, it just does not last and one is stuck with the warranty issue. Soft touch means soft...means wear. Plastic stocks or any stock are generally not wear proof, why should wear only start after 2 years warranty? Meaning scratches and maybe shiny patches from wear will start from the first day depending on usage.
    In Sako's case the soft coating is just not the right material but the market wants it.
    edi

well as promised GMK supplied the brand new stock to my gun shop so picked it up last Wednesday fitted it. now of to the range to re zero the rifle looks brand new.