Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun safety stuck...

Shotgun safety stuck...

Hi all,
    I've just had my Baikal out of the cabinet for a quick clean and look over, thinking that I might stop procrastinating and go clay shooting later in the week.
    All appeared ok, but when I popped the snap caps in I found the safety was jammed in the "safe" position. Obviously I can't operate the triggers and the gun is useless. Not knowing much about how a shotgun works 'behind the scenes" can anyone enlighten me as to what may be the problem?
    Cheers!
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

I expect it's a little bit rusted and nothing that can't be solved with a splash of WD40...

What model is it?

Generally speaking as long as you are careful, you should be able to disassemble it with normal screwdrivers to take the stock off and see what the problem is.

There are lots of videos on YouTube that will show you where to find all the screws to remove.

Quote Originally Posted by Oh6 View Post
    What model is it?

Generally speaking as long as you are careful, you should be able to disassemble it with normal screwdrivers to take the stock off and see what the problem is.

There are lots of videos on YouTube that will show you where to find all the screws to remove.
    I can only see two screws... One of which is... Under the safety

I'm not sure on model, it's a double trigger non-ejector and has "27“ inscribed near the trigger guard (along with made in USSR, of course)
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSimon View Post
    (along with made in USSR, of course)
    In which case, think like you're in the USSR: WD40 and a small hammer...

SD Regular
    The safety blocks the triggers. It doesn't block the hammers. It may be stuck through crud OR something may be broken.

First test is push the triggers forward and see if you can now un-apply the safe.

Also as it's an auto safe opening the gun should put the safety back to the rear "on safe" position. So if the gun is opened the safe button that you can see behind the top lever should go back to "on safe".

If it doesn't either the lever connecting has been removed. No problem per se as some skeet guns had that lever removed or something is broken.

I suspect gun has had that lever removed and the round bar that sits on top of the triggers to prevent them being pulled has become stuck in the on position through some reason.

Try some WD40 squirted under the safe and up into the trigger slots (gun upside down).
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 04-04-2016 at 15:53.

Thanks for the swift replies. PM's "think like a Soviet" was the winner. A few small taps and the safety moved forward, reset when I opened the gun. Repeated a couple of times and it now seems fine.
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSimon View Post
    PM's "think like a Soviet" was the winner.
    WOOHOO! That's my greatest achievement today! I have a Brno side-by-side, which has a similar design philosophy to the Baikals, if combined with slightly better quality...

SD Regular
    I bought a Lada 1200 estate, once, thinking that like a Baikal, a Nagant, a Tokarev it'd be basic. But sound and reliable. It was a crock of ****. Soviet cars were not the same build quality as Soviet guns I found out.

I paid a whopping 85 for this gun, it owes me!
    Blog