Shotgun safety stuck...

SimpleSimon

Hi all,
I've just had my Baikal out of the cabinet for a quick clean and look over, thinking that I might stop procrastinating and go clay shooting later in the week.
All appeared ok, but when I popped the snap caps in I found the safety was jammed in the "safe" position. Obviously I can't operate the triggers and the gun is useless. Not knowing much about how a shotgun works 'behind the scenes" can anyone enlighten me as to what may be the problem?
Cheers!

What model is it?

Generally speaking as long as you are careful, you should be able to disassemble it with normal screwdrivers to take the stock off and see what the problem is.

There are lots of videos on YouTube that will show you where to find all the screws to remove.

What model is it?

Generally speaking as long as you are careful, you should be able to disassemble it with normal screwdrivers to take the stock off and see what the problem is.

There are lots of videos on YouTube that will show you where to find all the screws to remove.

I can only see two screws... One of which is... Under the safety :doh:

I'm not sure on model, it's a double trigger non-ejector and has "27“ inscribed near the trigger guard (along with made in USSR, of course)

The safety blocks the triggers. It doesn't block the hammers. It may be stuck through crud OR something may be broken.

First test is push the triggers forward and see if you can now un-apply the safe.

Also as it's an auto safe opening the gun should put the safety back to the rear "on safe" position. So if the gun is opened the safe button that you can see behind the top lever should go back to "on safe".

If it doesn't either the lever connecting has been removed. No problem per se as some skeet guns had that lever removed or something is broken.

I suspect gun has had that lever removed and the round bar that sits on top of the triggers to prevent them being pulled has become stuck in the on position through some reason.

Try some WD40 squirted under the safe and up into the trigger slots (gun upside down).

Last edited:
Thanks for the swift replies. PM's "think like a Soviet" was the winner. A few small taps and the safety moved forward, reset when I opened the gun. Repeated a couple of times and it now seems fine.

I bought a Lada 1200 estate, once, thinking that like a Baikal, a Nagant, a Tokarev it'd be basic. But sound and reliable. It was a crock of ****. Soviet cars were not the same build quality as Soviet guns I found out.

My mum had a Lada estate and towed a small caravan all over the country with it. My Baikal semi auto however split the stock on the first shot and the safety stuck once and had to go to the gun smiths apart from that never missed a beat.

£85 for a Baikal must have been a grade 5.

I wonder how many of us started shooting using a Baikal? Always remember using Baikal cartridges - Big Bang (sometimes) and lots of confetti.

I have several of the Baikals (a semi auto, and for the youth shotgun team we had 5 of the single shot 12s).

The safety on these is rather cheap and as such is open to collecting grit and grime. At some point open up and shoot some solvent in there (or isopropyl alcohol in a pinch) and then follow with some powdered graphite. Oiling just results in attracting more grit/grime. If it is like most Baikals, don't worry about the solvent damaging the stick finish - because they come from the factory with a garbage finish anyhow (and some of the early models had a stock fit that looked like it was hacked with an adze).

I wuld have the safety checked as it sounds like something has come loose or moved. This happened on a Baikal 627 O/U and it blocked the lever so the gun would not open.

£85 for a Baikal must have been a grade 5.

I wonder how many of us started shooting using a Baikal? Always remember using Baikal cartridges - Big Bang (sometimes) and lots of confetti.
My first shotgun was a Baikal sxs back in the days when you could buy them from mail order catalogues and it was stored in the corner of my bedroom in my parents house.
In 1978 I sold it too a mate who I used to shoot with most weekends, 6 months later he committed suicide with it .. over a woman.

A "turkey pheasant" or "steppe ptarmigan". More correctly, Lagopus Leninskius, the Urals Grouse. Red features not just on the head but on the heart. Noted for its collective and communal activity.

Now rare if not indeed extinct in its native range. Suffered from emergence of the Pica Putinius or "oligarch magpie". A wide ranging bird with appearances as south as Crimea and as far west as the Istmus of Panama. Know for its secretive acquisitive habits.

An undiscovered, British strain, Lagopus Islingtonius or Lagopus Corbynius thought to exist and thought to be the species' last hope. But opinion divided on whether next fews years will see its spectacular resurgence or its decline and disappearance.

Last edited:
Back