Thread: ticks on dogs

ticks on dogs

This weekend had to remove q tick from one of my teckels which was quite embedded just above its eye. I'm predicting a really bad year.
    What are fellow stalkers using on there dogs. Is there a combine flee, tick and wormer.

I use Frontline Plus on my dog. Meant to be stronger than the normal Frontline. The dog still gets ticks but usually dead by the time they become attached, it's never had fleas. Use Drontal for worms.
    Last edited by Willie; 04-04-2016 at 22:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I use Frontline Plus on my dog. Meant to be stronger than the normal Frontline. The dog still gets ticks but usually dead by the time they become attached, it's never have fleas. Use Drontal for worms.
    A couple of years ago Frontline Plus/Frontline Combo stopped working on my dogs.

I went on to Advocate which is a spot on type. It sorted the fleas immediately and gives protection against Heartworm...the old dog started slug hunting! Does not cover ticks though.

I now use that in the Spring early Summer when you can get a couple of dry days to get it around the body and into the pores before it gets diluted by a soaking.

In the winter I have gone onto Nexgard which does do both ticks and fleas. It is a tablet and is so easy to use, the dogs just take it out of your hand like a treat and it matters not whether they get wet.

Nexgard has a very fast effect on ticks. The ticks always seem to attach but I have not taken off a hugely engorged one or a wriggling one yet, unlike with Frontline. I always use an O'Tom tick remover. I have sets of them everywhere...in most of my outdoor jackets, the vehicle glove compartments and first aid shoulder bag!

The Frontline makers, Merial, also make Nexgard.

Apache, one of the vets on here, has recommended a collar which is very effective on ticks...do a search...

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by weeman View Post
    This weekend had to remove q tick from one of my teckels which was quite embedded just above its eye. I'm predicting a really bad year.
    What are fellow stalkers using on there dogs. Is there a combine flee, tick and wormer.
    Using Advantix on my cocker this year after advice from our vet.

If you can get your head around the use of a collar on a working dog, the Serestro Collar is about the best all round tick control product and also does fleas. The collar is grey in colour, for technical reasons, they have tried different colours eg brown!

Lasts for 8 months, will break when required, i.e. has special break zones built in. Is not affected by your dog going swimming.

Most if not all the vets in our Practice use the Serestro collars.

Can be used in conjunction and concurrently with certain worming products such as Advocate, which is one of the better ones, particularly when considering Heart Worm.

These products are not cheap, but they offer the best all round protection for your best friend! But speak to your vet about them, and ALWAYS check about concurrent product compatibility!

Advantix is another alternative to the Serestro collar, but can cause significant skin irritation in certain dogs, and there are risks to cats if they share beds etc. Again check with your vet!

Regards,

HL

Quote Originally Posted by NoIDeer View Post
    Using Advantix on my cocker this year after advice from our vet.
    +1 for Advantix. I use front line spot on during winter when tics are not an issue, that keeps the fleas away as mine are house dogs.
    Then as the weather warms up I switch to Advantix this still keeps the fleas at bay but really works for tics.
    I've had Weimaraners now for the past 10 years so with their short coat checking is easy. I can honestly say since using Advantix now for about 7 years I've only ever found 1 tic on 1 dog that was right near the corner of its eye.
    ILB

I've used Bravecto ever since the vet introduced me to it. why? three months, one tablet. very convenient because its not topical and it works great. there are some rumors about it causing this problem and that problem, but aren't there rumors about pretty much every single insecticide medicine? check this out:

Bravecto For Dogs | Veterinary Place

If you're having doubts make sure you read that carefully, but the conclusion was that its fine and since I started using it its done nothing but good, not even any nausea.