Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rimfire Scopes

Rimfire Scopes

After reading through a few posts on here regarding scopes for rimfires, I decided to share a test of limited value and scientific method, although I hope it may still be helpful. Coming up to dusk, I set up a zeroing target of ¼” black squares on a white background and placed it 25 yards away against a dark wooden wall. Also at 25 yards I placed a white, gray and brown silhouette target of a rabbit partially in deep shadow, and egg on top of a post in full day/moonlight and a shiny bottletop in full shade. There was some small amount of constant and consistent artificial light.

The times given are the point at which the black squares could not be aimed at reliably.

3-9x40 were set on 6x, the Falcon on 8x.

Scope Time
    Nikko –Sterling Gold Crown 6x40 20:21
    Weaver 4 x 38 20:10
    Hawke Panorama I/R 3-9x40 20:16
    Falcon Menace 4.5-18x56 20:22
    Edgar Brothers Silver 3-9x40 20:20
    Redfield 3-9x40 20:22

The times that the silhouette became unshootable.

Scope Time
    Nikko –Sterling Gold Crown 6x40 20:35
    Weaver 4 x 38 20:30
    Hawke Panorama I/R 3-9x40 Some time after 20:45
    Falcon Menace 4.5-18x56 20:30
    Edgar Brothers 3-9x40 20:35
    Redfield 3-9x40 20:35

As noted the results were almost reversed. The limit on shooting was down to the reticle disappearing, although the Weaver just blacked out in parts of the picture due to lack of light. The illuminated Hawke, was still usable right up until complete darkness on the egg and silhouette.

The Gold Crown, E-B and Weaver were all less than £30 secondhand.

The Menace was £140 very nearly new.

Hawke was £70 old stock, now £135 at Uttings.

Redfield Revolution £205.00.

All the above hold zero very well on rimfires and tuned springers, the Redfield and Weaver are just zero and forget even on centrefires.

All were capable of extending shooting time on the zeroing squares beyond the time that they could be seen with the naked eye. All were capable of showing the silhouette beyond the time that they could be seen with the naked eye.

I was wondering what to fit to my HMR, having become annoyed at the poor twilight hunting range of the Falcon being worse than the (broken) Hawke Varmint IR it replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bongo View Post
    Nikko –Sterling Gold Crown 6x40
    I grew up shooting a parker hale .270 with a 4x32 gold crown
    still wearing the same scope to this day
    regularly used at Ponteland 600yd ranges

I have 4 of them for my sako quad
    one for each barrel
    also have a scope mounted T35 torch......

Putting a 6x fixed night vision on my 22 has made me realise you need nothing more powerful.
    So, I have the wpt NV and a snb 6x42.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

I do a fair amount of lamping with a Ledray GL6, I still need good twilight performance from my scopes though.

Redfield are great scopes I had one on my HMR and later on my .22-250 with the accu range reticle. It was a lovely crisp image and an awesome lamping scope

I have a s&b 8x56 on my hmr. Bought 2nd had, great scope for bunnys

I think Wullie made a good choice. I have a cheapisch mildot 3-9x40 on my 22 and a 4-12x44 minox on my223...both will be flogged and proper glas put on. As a simple point and shoot rifle for the 223 I have a 8x56 S&B on the way and for the 22 I think ideal would be a 6x42 with mildot S&B if I can get one or get an old one converted. I am so sick of cheap glas, life is too short.
    edi

Quote Originally Posted by ejg View Post
    I think Wullie made a good choice. I have a cheapisch mildot 3-9x40 on my 22 and a 4-12x44 minox on my223...both will be flogged and proper glas put on. As a simple point and shoot rifle for the 223 I have a 8x56 S&B on the way and for the 22 I think ideal would be a 6x42 with mildot S&B if I can get one or get an old one converted. I am so sick of cheap glas, life is too short.
    edi

Gave up on cheap scope for rimfires years ago,they dont keep zero for starters!!!

Have a Swaro 6x42 on mine worth every penny of the £250........

Quote Originally Posted by 2130martin View Post
    Gave up on cheap scope for rimfires years ago,they dont keep zero for starters!!!

Have a Swaro 6x42 on mine worth every penny of the £250........
    Am I correct in thinking that the "cheap" scopes you had issues with are of modern manufacture?

I ask as I had a cheap 4x40 scope on a 303 Enfield and it held up fine this one had a duplex crosshair and was bought to replace the 4x32 Nikko Stirling that was on the rifle when I bought it. The Nikko worked fine but had a plain fine cross hair and I liked the duplex better. The Nikko Stirling was of Japanese make and oddly enough the 4x40 was unbranded and of Chinese manufacture the 1st that I had come across. With it the old 303 would easily hold the black and was more often in the inner and bull at 600 yards at Bisley. Have read that modern Nikko Stirlings are not made as well as they used to be for all their bells and whistles. So if I do need to buy a new cheap scope I will look elsewhere but ti seems to be more of a minefield than it ever was!.

My air rifle has a old 4x32 ASI scope on it that I bought way back when the rifle was new and it has been fine ever since and being a spring powered air rifle is certainly must have give it a work out over the years. Have no idea who made the scope as ASI were only importers of course and they imported the rifle which is why it has the ASI fitted I am guessing. I did have to change the mounts as the ones on it were poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Conure View Post
    Am I correct in thinking that the "cheap" scopes you had issues with are of modern manufacture?

I ask as I had a cheap 4x40 scope on a 303 Enfield and it held up fine this one had a duplex crosshair and was bought to replace the 4x32 Nikko Stirling that was on the rifle when I bought it. The Nikko worked fine but had a plain fine cross hair and I liked the duplex better. The Nikko Stirling was of Japanese make and oddly enough the 4x40 was unbranded and of Chinese manufacture the 1st that I had come across. With it the old 303 would easily hold the black and was more often in the inner and bull at 600 yards at Bisley. Have read that modern Nikko Stirlings are not made as well as they used to be for all their bells and whistles. So if I do need to buy a new cheap scope I will look elsewhere but ti seems to be more of a minefield than it ever was!.

My air rifle has a old 4x32 ASI scope on it that I bought way back when the rifle was new and it has been fine ever since and being a spring powered air rifle is certainly must have give it a work out over the years. Have no idea who made the scope as ASI were only importers of course and they imported the rifle which is why it has the ASI fitted I am guessing. I did have to change the mounts as the ones on it were poor.
    It was a long time ago so cant remember but they were Hawkes etc which i still have on my sir rifle but i used my .22 for years with metal sights as they didnt lose zero between outings,then i got into stalking and learnt more about scopes and mounts. Now i have decent scopes and mounts and spend as much prorata as my stalking kit,makes life a whole lot more easier when you can grab and go with the confidence it is good to go.