Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Balls Required....

Big Balls Required....

I was asked to help out on a rush job for an agricultural engineering firm I do a bit of turning for,

Usual cardboard cut out pattern and a rough sketch!!

Quite often you never know what these things are for, but it was for a pilling rig mast foot!

Having done a lot of contract welding for a pilling firm I knew exactly where it went!

For scale the ball is 5" diameter.

The owner of the firm was shaking his head as many years ago when they brought the lathe second hand it had a copying attachment but the guy wanted as much for it as the lathe so they never brought it!

I made a radius tool at home with some carbide I've had for years...

The rest was all by eye and the cardboard pattern...(the spare I will do next week)

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

Nice work Tim
    but couldent you have gone to your local B & Q
    and bought any old door handle
    Regards pete
    Last edited by Roedinator; 05-04-2016 at 08:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Roedinator View Post
    Nice work Tim
    but couldent you have gone to your local B & Q
    and bought any old door handle
    Regards pete
    LOL....

I am learning as got one of the younger lads to lift the blanks in while I nipped up the chuck!!

Tim.243

Gee, that lathe looks like it was commissioned in the 60's. Get it was too.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

You can't better an older op on an older bit of kit,... at least you were working under cover on your rig bit, I did all mine outdoors!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    You can't better an older op on an older bit of kit,... at least you were working under cover on your rig bit, I did all mine outdoors!
    Oh plenty of hours rebuilding 6mtr strings up to size and then hard facing on site!

I made up 2 stands, one had grove marks on a 500mm dia plate so you could get the teeth in the right place every time on the cutting head. Get the subbies in to do the tricky work then employ a man on the cards!!

Don't miss the London traffic or the induction course from a spotty faced pup in a hi-viz jacket lol...
    One question I was asked was what is the worst thing that can happen....

I got it in one word... "Death" know can I get on with the repairs please lol

Tim.243
    Last edited by Tim.243; 05-04-2016 at 14:58.

Yeah!, I miss my 600 amp Lincoln Nomad DC set, it was old when I bought it & I'm 60 this April, weld beads like from a silkworm. (believe it's still working now on Holyhead dockside!)
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Exactly. I did my apprenticeship as a turner fitter. Most of the lathes were from before WW2. They were solid bits of kit. The new fangled CNC stuff (speaking start of the 1990s broke down regularly).
    One old lathe though always smashed its gear shafts most Fridays, till we figured out the old fu**er who operated it would sometimes put an Allen Key between 2 gears and engage the drive, to get a lazy afternoon.

I've just bought a 30+ year old refurbed Colchester on the basis that no matter how much I was willing to spend on a new one from any manufacturer, they just dont look like they will last more than 10 years.

Thats a nice job Tim, I have an old Steadall badged lathe in the shed, its actually a Lorch from the mid 1930's. Cant do anything fancy and that includes me, but ideal for shooting bits and pieces