Rabbiting is underrated

In a break away from what many would probably consider the normal progression of shooting, it may be surprising to learn that it was almost two years after shooting my first deer that I shot my first rabbit. Maybe there are some who'd say I've gone backwards, but I can't believe the entertainment value that can be had from our little furry friends.
I love stalking deer; the anticipation as you walk the woods and fields, the excitement of the initial sighting, the adrenaline when you find a shooting position and realise the shot is on, the stillness just before you squeeze the trigger, and the spreading smile when you see the beast go down.
With rabbiting, the excitement is lesser. Even a pro stalker probably sees ten bunnies for every buck. They're everywhere. The first time I saw a wild deer it was a novelty, a memorable experience. Even now seeing a deer as I walk the local woodland paths is an interesting event. But a rabbit? Barely worth a second glance.

I think that's what makes shooting them so much fun. I'm going to call it the Scalextric Effect. It's all the fun of a real race car, miniaturised and compressed into a small space and a short time, and made accessible. It's not quite like doing a lap of the Nurburgring, but who cares? You can do ten laps, twenty, fifty, in the space of a few minutes, with much less to worry about, and you'll still end with a grin on your face.
Rabbiting is, I think, the same. It's not quite like locating, stalking and ultimately shooting that big buck, but an evening might give you five or ten or even more little mini versions of that buck experience. The (fairly minor) anticipation as you walk the woods and fields, the (slight) excitement of the initial sighting, the (little) adrenaline when you find a shooting position and realise the shot is on, the stillness just before you squeeze the trigger, and the wee grin when you see the bunny go down... Then you just pick it up and start all over again!

Another secret Bunny Basher here......even to the point where a good head shot on a distant bunny with a .243 whilst out stalking is very satisfying!

try stalking a rabbit from 100 yards and see how close you can get. You may be surprised if you take your time. The best I have ever managed is about 20 yards.

try stalking a rabbit from 100 yards and see how close you can get. You may be surprised if you take your time. The best I have ever managed is about 20 yards.
Would that be how the best stalkers have a .22 and not a .17??:D

That's not a reverse progression at all, it's just proper appreciation of another quarry. I myself had my first and so far only lamping expedition just before Christmas and I loved it. I've shot a few rabbits before with a shotgun but opportunities have been rare, so I really value the humble rabbit. They're not by any means abundant everywhere though, and their populations are subject to periodic almost total eradication through disease, either myxomatosis or VHD.

Incidentally, I checked the zero of my .22 at Bisley on Sunday with both the HP ammunition I was using on the rabbits (and missing a bit...) and the target rounds. I thought they'd be a bit different. I didn't expect to have to wind the scope eight clicks up at 50m when switching to the rabbiting rounds! Still, now I know. Next time, there may be more rabbits in the bag.

Nice write up mate and I know how you feel.

I popped out Mon night to zero my new photon on the .22 WMR and knocked a few bunnies over while I was out and enjoyed it immensely! Great bit of kit and a deadly combo with the Gen 3 spotter I have also now!!

Stratts

Can't beat a night with a mate ,lamp & drive round all margins & getting a good bag , great burgers & highly underrated nights sport

Paul

Rabbiting under rated????!!!!!

Well those were the days when I was a teenager of 13, If I wasn`t smoking them out and coursing them with my whippet, I was stalking them using my .22 Relum Tornado air rifle, using iron sites. No one challenged a lad in those days with an air rifle walking to the fields along a busy main road between Poynton and Hazel Grove. As time went on I got into spaniels, Labs and HPR`s, and field trials. Rabbits were the holy grail!!! Any idiot worth his salt could steady a dog on feather. (For what its worth I could run a young Spaniel down and catch him within a quarter mile and return him to the seat of the rabbit). I would travel miles for the privelidge to run my dogs on Rabbits. Then came along that dreaded VHD and the rabbiting world collapsed. I was once judging a trial on Shap 30 years ago wearing protective gloves and disinfecting my hands after every retrieve. Anyway I still go out lamping and when the opportunity arises I get an invite to shoot over ferrets in York. Stalking is a skill regardless of the quarry.I reminisce!!!

Cheers good hunting whatever your quarry!!! Just respect it and the countryside.
Spaniel

Try lamping them with a lurcher. Best sport there is bar none.

Would drop stalking tomorrow if it was one or the other.

I thought everyone started off in country sports by ratting and rabbiting, apparently not.
But we all end up in old age ratting and rabbiting when we are to old to stalk, showing the young ones how to go on, and teach etiquette.
Was interesting to see the chaps who have plenty to say have not done as much a I thought
Cant wait for grandson to grow up !!

Ahhhhhhh rabbits, let me know when you fancy it again. I do love rabbiting, it's the bread and butter.

I have gone the 'traditional' route, rats & rabbits with air rifles for years, on to the same with powder burners then fox and now properly getting into stalking, I love stalking (the few trips out I've done so far) but I was out last night on a permission I've not shot for a month or two due to lambing, DSC1 and a 20 week old baby. Rabbits everywhere (luckily the crop is established as I did hit them hard as it was coming up), WDV700 NV add on with the hornet and I'd bagged 9 in under an hour, absolutely brilliant fun. I'll be back next week once the 0.22 Annie is back up and running with some subs to take full advantage or their oblivious-nous to the cherry glow of the IR!

To mirror what was said up the thread I can't wait until my 2 year old lad comes out with me and he'll be starting on the rabbits :D

Back