Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chronic Wasting Disease

Chronic Wasting Disease

Dear Members

There was a post on the site last night where it was mentioned that CWD had been found in free living reindeer in Norway.

Can anyone confirm this and if we have veterinary members, what bio-security measures do we need to take. I have a number of Scandinavian clients and I would like to send them an advisory note on what clothing and equipment they can and cannot bring.

Thanks in advance

R

Quote Originally Posted by robbie rowantree View Post
    Dear Members

There was a post on the site last night where it was mentioned that CWD had been found in free living reindeer in Norway.

Can anyone confirm this and if we have veterinary members, what bio-security measures do we need to take. I have a number of Scandinavian clients and I would like to send them an advisory note on what clothing and equipment they can and cannot bring.

Thanks in advance

R
    If you enter "Norwegian Veterinary Institue & CWD" you will find the announcement. It only came through yesterday & most of the deer world is still in shock.
    "Men Who Stare at Deer."

Now that is scary stuff, certainly dont want this. i also have foreign clients and import zoo stock from Scandinavia and the rest of europe.
    It seems to be one threat after another in the countryside just now between tree diseases , bluetongue, salmon diseases, attacks from those elected to protect us and now CWD closing in.

It is surely time for all travelling hunters, outdoor workers & recreational visitors to apply biosecurity methods.
    I'm not fully competent to dictate but leaving gralloching tools (knives included) clothing & footware that have been used in one area there & not taking them to other areas makes sense.
    Certainly all soil & organic matter should be thoroughly removed from kit & items washed in bleach before travel.
    Maybe our veterinary colleagues here on SD could add to this to give us all the best possible tools to fight this nightmare.
    This is one genie we want kept in the bottle. Lets be proactive!

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by robbie rowantree View Post
    Dear Members

Thanks in advance

R
    Put your tin hat on .. Advertising without paying is frowned upon.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    See Dunrobin Sporting

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post

I must of missed it but how is he advertising there???

The americans have been dealing with CWD for years and are probably a reasonable source of information..

Just plucked this from a google search.. it goes into a lot of detail but talks about transmission, prevention and control measures..

https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild...2March2015.pdf

Since this is the first case in Europe, anyone care to venture how it arrived here ? Its virtually impossible for it to have 'evolved' here so it has been introduced. From Lapland/ Sweden /Russia maybe naturally ?

Quote Originally Posted by kes View Post
    Since this is the first case in Europe, anyone care to venture how it arrived here ? Its virtually impossible for it to have 'evolved' here so it has been introduced. From Lapland/ Sweden /Russia maybe naturally ?
    It was first "discovered" in the US in a research facility, after deer were grazed on pasture previously occupied by scrapie sheep. Is there any history of scrapie in Norway?
    "Men Who Stare at Deer."