Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Microchip for dogs

Microchip for dogs

What's everyone's thoughts on the new law for micro chipping their dogs?

Looks like I'm going to miss the deadline.

Be interested to hear everyone's thoughts on it, good or bad.

Cheers

B

Alba gu brąth

Sauer 101 6.5x55, Beretta Silver Pigeon 12g Over&Under

I'm not aware of any reason why you might choose not to get it done. Is there any real downside?

Our dog was chipped as a pup before we got him so wasn't a choice to be made but I'm thinking it can only improve the chances of getting them back if they were lost. If they were stolen on the other hand I can't imagine whipping the chip out would be beyond a determined thief if it was going to be a problem for them.

News last night mentioned in passing a group concerned about a potential health risk, but they didn't expand on it at all so don't know if there's anything in that.

My dogs been chipped since he was a pup, can feel it under the skin. Won't stop you losing the dog but should speed up recovery when someone finds it wandering about. Thats got to be a positive move

Our dogs have all always been chipped. I can't see a reason to not chip a dog considering all the positive aspects.

Quote Originally Posted by andyf View Post
    I'm not aware of any reason why you might choose not to get it done. Is there any real downside?

Our dog was chipped as a pup before we got him so wasn't a choice to be made but I'm thinking it can only improve the chances of getting them back if they were lost. If they were stolen on the other hand I can't imagine whipping the chip out would be beyond a determined thief if it was going to be a problem for them.

News last night mentioned in passing a group concerned about a potential health risk, but they didn't expand on it at all so don't know if there's anything in that.
    Listening to the radio this morning the health risk was centred around the vet putting the chips into very young pups of small breed dogs. There have been two recorded cases of the vet getting his placement wrong as a pup wriggled, one resulting in spinal cord damage and the other brain stem damage. In both cases the pups had to be put down.

I have had 4 dogs chipped over the years. In every case the chip has worked its way from the back of the neck to the front of chest/top of leg during their lifetime. Not affected the dog but the vet's often have trouble finding it when they scan (something I ask them to do whenever I take a dog in).

Having watched our vet search for them I might question whether or not one that had moved to the chest would be found on a routine check on a lost dog.
    So much to learn and so little time left

Can only think positive, and no real downside. If it helps gets your dog back if lost then can only be a good thing. I have used micro chipping since it first came about.

M

I believe that, over time, many owners will come to recognise the benefit of being able to correctly identify pedigree dogs and link them back to their records at the Kennel Club.

I don't know if it happens but it might, for example, be possible to enter one dog in a field trial but swap it for another, more capable dog on the day. Scanning the microchip could help prevent this.

I cant see a down side to it , but I have this scots thrawn response that doesn't like anyone telling me what to do with me and mine . I'll eventually get round to it , if one of mine are loose every one knows them and the only real risk is if a holiday maker picks them up and delivers them to the pound in perth . I would rather see a licence system to vet prospective owners before having a pet dog and as much as I love mine I probably would not have dogs if I didn't need them for work.

Our Dogs stay on plot but what please is the legal requirement - a link would be good, as I have missed this. They arent 'working' dogs but a Rotty and a Mastif G Dane cross. They are my burglar deterrent and clean-up squad.

Quote Originally Posted by kes View Post
    Our Dogs stay on plot but what please is the legal requirement - a link would be good, as I have missed this. They arent 'working' dogs but a Rotty and a Mastif G Dane cross. They are my burglar deterrent and clean-up squad.
    Only up here mate so you're off the hook!