.22lr ricochet, how dangerous?

Do you think 22lr ricochets are very dangerous indeed?

• Total voters
The primary ground I shoot on is very flinty, but 1000+ acres and so a large enough area to handle the odd ricochet ... in theory.There are always cattle or sheep around and the thought of accidentally wounding or killing one of these and also eating into the farmer's livelihood warranted a change to a .17 calibre for me. This still ricochets occasionally, but the bullet is in so many small pieces and these lose energy very quickly.

Regards

Mark

I think people are more worried about 22LR because of the slow velocity. Therefore you're more likely to hear the ricochet.

As an example, a 22LR ricochets off a rock 80 metres away. With the slow MV, it's taken close on a quarter of a second to get there. AND it was subsonic and (most likely) moderated, so the shot was very quiet. So you heard the bullet 'zing' off into the distance.

As an alternative, a HMR running at 2500 fps takes one tenth of a second to strike the rock. So you're still hearing the supersonic 'crack' when the 'zing' happens.

So you don't hear it. So you don't worry about it.

I think people are more worried about 22LR because of the slow velocity. Therefore you're more likely to hear the ricochet.

As an example, a 22LR ricochets off a rock 80 metres away. With the slow MV, it's taken close on a quarter of a second to get there. AND it was subsonic and (most likely) moderated, so the shot was very quiet. So you heard the bullet 'zing' off into the distance.

As an alternative, a HMR running at 2500 fps takes one tenth of a second to strike the rock. So you're still hearing the supersonic 'crack' when the 'zing' happens.

So you don't hear it. So you don't worry about it.

This theory is probably true,just look at the numerous gun fights on television from Afghanistan etc and note where those tracers are zinging off all over the place.........

Back