Thread: TB and it's transfer to cattle.

TB and it's transfer to cattle.

Hi all,

On behalf of a farmer who has been free of TB since the farm was conceived, has now become TB active.

He has had badgers all the farms life. The only change in mammal movement is that a large population of fallow have taken residence in an adjacent wood.

We believe that the deer may have introduced TB through soil movement in their hoofs.

Now tis may or may not be true so I would just like some further info into the transfer agents/hosts for TB.

Regards
    Colin.

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...ight=tb+fallow

I started the above thread on what I listened to on Radio 4 I think and read some of the details on the DEFRA web site. It may be worthwhile to ask DEFRA if any deer in your locality have been diagnosed with TB and also which particular strain and also which strain your farmers cattle have had. My very limited understanding is that there are a number of strains.
    The link to the DEFRA web site is a dead one however and I cannot find the source from a limited search.
    CSL is the central scientific lab which may have been renamed, I am not sure.
    I found this link to a report whether it is the same I am not sure: http://www.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm/far...ary/se3036.htm
    Last edited by jack; 03-06-2010 at 18:58.

Hi Jack,

Many thanks.

Gives me something to think about.

Cattle on adjacent farms could be the answer , especially if the boundries are only wire fences .
    Brian