Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 375 H &H - Northamptonshire

375 H &H - Northamptonshire

I will be moving to Northamptonshire soon, any one any experience with the Police's attitude to a 375?

Thanks

A friend of mine lives in Northamptonshire and they have given him loads of grief about his 375.

im from manchester and ive got one on my certificate, and i refused to take no for an answer, as long as you have got good reason and place to shoot, they have to give it to you, just do a little homework first before you apply. if you gonna use it at the range ask your club to give you the muzzle energy and velocity chart, every range got one, supply all the info to your Firearm officer, once you've done every thing on ur part by the book, i believe they have no choice.

Get it before you move. Nhants a pain in the arse for anything bigger than a pea shooter. Or you'll get a load of restrictions like only to shoot abroad etc.

ha ! I had trouble getting a 308 best bet get it now in Linc's or be prepared for a long wait after you've moved here .
    Norma

Ah! Well here goes . Perhaps Northants have got a point ? The .375HH Mag. is a bit of a 'cannon' designed for plains game isn't it ?

Is there really a good reason for one to shoot deer in the UK ? What will the .375HH Mag. do that a 30-06 (or many others) won't, other than put a bigger dent in your wallet ? .
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Norm View Post
    Ah! Well here goes . Perhaps Northants have got a point ? The .375HH Mag. is a bit of a 'cannon' designed for plains game isn't it ?

Is there really a good reason for one to shoot deer in the UK ? What will the .375HH Mag. do that a 30-06 (or many others) won't, other than put a bigger dent in your wallet ? .
    ah but norm, that's just it, the point is what will a .3006 do that 8x57 won't, or .308 for that matter..... But if you've got a rifle on your ticket that's for overseas use, and you have access to suitable land at home why on earth shouldn't you be able to use it? A 22250 round will go just as far if pointed in the right direction (and by comparison are more often used at night where people can't always see backstops etc...).
    i agree if you apply for one for uk use alone, good luck, but ultimately the deer won't know know it's been killed by too much bullet for the job.... Dead is dead....

I never had a muntjac complain at being shot by the .375!
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Quite right, Deerstalker 308. We all need to practise with our rifles, and a 375 H&H is potentially a "dangerous game" rifle. And you really don't need any glitches when you are up against them. If you use a relatively "hard" softnosed bullet, the damage to even small deer is not huge.
    Marcher

I have held a 375HH on my ticket for over 25 years, never had an issue with Kent police. Have used it abroad on numerous occasions, and it is conditioned for deer, boar and even fox on my current ticket.

I will admit I have never used it in anger in the UK, but could do if I wanted. I have used it a few times on the range I have on the estate wen sighting in before going abroad. There should be no problem with owning one, after all there is a minimum calibre for deer, but NO maximum.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    ah but norm, that's just it, the point is what will a .3006 do that 8x57 won't, or .308 for that matter..... But if you've got a rifle on your ticket that's for overseas use, and you have access to suitable land at home why on earth shouldn't you be able to use it? A 22250 round will go just as far if pointed in the right direction (and by comparison are more often used at night where people can't always see backstops etc...).
    i agree if you apply for one for uk use alone, good luck, but ultimately the deer won't know know it's been killed by too much bullet for the job.... Dead is dead....

All true.... but as it doesn't 'fit my case', I have no option but to do a @Gov.uk and ignore inconvenient facts.

I never had a muntjac complain at being shot by the .375!
    Well I heard that eight out of ten Muntjac, who responded to a recent poll, expressed a preference for the .222 Rem.

Best wishes to the OP with his application.
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.